Galle


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Galle
March 23rd 2021
Published: March 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Galle - Sri Lanka #heygo http://www.heygo.com



In 1640, the Portuguese were forced to surrender to the Dutch East India Company. The Dutch built the present fort in 1663. They built a fortified solid granite wall and three bastions, known as "Sun", "Moon" and "Star".

After the British took over the country from the Dutch in 1796, they preserved the fort unchanged and used it as the administrative centre of the district.



Our tour started overlooking the cricket ground. The ground was built in 1876 as a race course. There was no permanent pavilion until 1892, when a ‘grand stand’ was built. Eventually the racing ceased and the ground was used for cricket matches more than races.



The fort was under renovation so our guide could not walk along the full length of the walls so he hopped into a tuk tuk, his smile was so infectious and he had a good sense of humour too.



We passed a couple of churches,the Dutch Reform church. Originally built in 1640, the present building dates from 1752. Its floor is paved with gravestones from Dutch cemeteries.



All Saints
Church, Galle was begun in 1868. The church was consecrated in 1871, and still holds services today. It is built on a basilican plan, in Victorian Gothic Revival style but modified to suit local conditions. The edifice of this church has withstood many monsoons and still stands out firm as a landmark of the historical Dutch fortress in Galle.

The plan of the Church is cruciform firmly supported on stone columns and arches carved beautifully in timber. Masonry arches built in local kabuk and lime mortar are strong enough to last many more years.



Galle lighthouse considered as the oldest lighthouse in the island that still serves the ships until today. This is the first lighthouse of built-in Sri Lanka in 1848 under the British administration. The earlier Galle lighthouse was 24.5 meters in height and located about 100 from the current lighthouse. This lighthouse was burnt down in 1936.



The Meera Masjid (Arabic for “mosque”) is located within the confines of the Fort. According to the locals, the exquisite white structure was built 300 years ago. Having undergone refurbishment 120 years ago, It’s hints of Dutch design is reflected in its architecture.




We had hoped to see a sunset but unfortunately it was too cloudy, oh well a reason to return again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement






Tot: 0.427s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb