Sri Lanka for family and friends


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Sabaragamuwa Province
August 3rd 2009
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

VisramaVisramaVisrama

270 Kandy Road, Kurunagala


Monday 3 August - from Visrama

Today a decision was made to start a travel blog for family and friends. as I have finally gotten myself online with mobile broadband! OK, it took long enough you may be saying!!
This blog will focus on some of the more general experiences ( as distinct from actual work programmes,though these will get a mention) of being here in sri lanka at this somewhat historic time. Following twenty years of civil war, the Government pushed rebel forces from the north of the island and a new era of rehabilitation and renewal began. Sri Lankans enjoy celebrating with fire crackers, flying the national flag and blowing horns etc. in a general and noisy fashion.On a more serious note, there is much rebuilding to be done with several thousand displaced persons now in camps while new living communities are being constructed. The newspapers have many stories of the IDP camps, and are also following the stories of the re-habilitation of hundreds of child soldiers. Many thanks to all who have contributed to this. It is seriously an historic time of social and economic rebuilding.
Life here continues and I am presently busy writing sessions and workshops for a Conference to be held in mid-August at Trinity College in Kandy, so spending much time at Visrama with the laptop. The house is presently undergoing some repairs following two break-ins and I am working here during the day, and sleeping in the spare bedroom next door repairs are completed. It is time for me to turn in about now, so will just get this off the ground before getting some sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb