19 Jan 2011 – Day two


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Mihintale
January 19th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

MihintaleMihintaleMihintale

What a beautiful sight it is during daytime and even more so at night.
My second and last day with Kingsley on this trip. He was to take me to Mihintale and some neighbouring sites before catching the train to Colombo. After that I was on my own for three more days and then back home until next month when I will pass this town on my way to Jaffna.

That night I slept too well. Kingsley politely mentioned my snoring; I know that when I am tired I do bring the roof down. So perhaps next time I should get him a separate room—the poor man. Got to do something about this noise, even the mosquitoes keep out!

Mihintale

Having left the Jeep at a nearby garage for the silencer to be repaired, we made our way to Mihintale the site at which Mahinda Thera appeared to King Devanampiya Tissa. A magnificent stupa white in colour looms as if the moon has orbited the earth. Last night we did drop in wondering whether we could make the trip up to the stupa but decided against it as we were too tired. Last night its beauty was indescribable and in the morning a sense of serenity touched the mystic vibrations of the
A stairway to nirvana?A stairway to nirvana?A stairway to nirvana?

Shy away from idle banter... and contemplate
atmosphere into one’s consciousness.

If I were to recite to you the full story of this place then this blog would be useless as there are many books on the subject and history written by many an apt author. I will recommend to you to get a small book written in the early 1900s but later editions in 1995 by B.W. Harischandra by the name of “The sacred city of Anuradhapura”. This will aptly educate you about the profound transformation of Sri Lanka making it the Buddhist Nation that it is today.

In the meantime allow me to mention what I felt about the place: The journey to the top, which is a long way up, is made easy by the many small steps that take you on an escape into contemplation. The first flight of steps at Mihintale is well formed with concrete balustrades on either side. Monkeys greet you along the way, and an old woman who strategically sits at the bottom of the steps will ask for arms while an old man will bless your Mother and Father if you give him a ten rupee. Kingsley gave twenty stating that one ten is for his
On the way to the top.On the way to the top.On the way to the top.

The rock opens up to this ledge and yonder. I wondered, what would it be to sit on it and watch the day pass by?
Mother and the other for his Father. Both blessed, we continued. There are many theories for the beggars in any country. But the one that works is of Buddhist philosophy. “If one gives, give wholly, without questioning. If not, don’t give, but don’t judge for in the act of not giving one does not create an action of defilement but in the act of judging one fails to purify.”

On the way up are vendors selling ornaments, spices and drinks. The one that drew my attention was semi ripened mango with chillie and salt spread on it. Delicious is the only way to describe the sourness of the spread on the sweet meat of the mango. Beware of the skilful rogue, the artful dodger, the scoundrel! Yes the monkey who with extreme agility snatched the contents of my hand making my delicacy a distant dream.

Mihintale is to climb for and must be undertaken early morning or late afternoon but not when the Sun is up at its hottest. There are many areas to be explored, one known as the ‘At Vihare’ which I intend to discover tomorrow once Kingsley has left for Colombo. Today we decided to
Mahinda Tera's dwellingMahinda Tera's dwellingMahinda Tera's dwelling

The rock is carved on the sides so that rain water does not pour inwards.
climb the rock upon which Mahinda Thera first met the King to ask him to assist in introducing Buddhism to the country.

Upon this rock was a Mango tree which was the topic of conversation that convinced Mahinda that Tissa was an apt king for this purpose. The conversation was a series of questions which I have copied from the earlier mentioned book.

Mahinda Thera—O King! What is this tree called?

King—it is called a Mango tree.

Thera—besides this one is there any other Mango tree?

King—there are many Mango trees.

Thera—besides this and other Mango trees are there any other trees on earth?

King—Lord! There are many trees; but they are not Mango trees.

Thera—besides the other Mango trees and the trees that are not Mango, is there any other tree?

King—Gracious Lord! Yes; this Mango tree.

Thera—Ruler of men! You are a wise King.

To me this sounds like an IQ test given by Mahinda Thera to identify a King from a peasant rather than to qualify the King of his task of introducing Buddhism to Sri Lanka.

However what was interesting of this site and
A small Gane TempleA small Gane TempleA small Gane Temple

On the way to Mahinda Tera's dwelling.
this meeting was how Mahinda Thera got up there with such relative ease. It is quite a high point on that mountain, in fact there is only one other mountain that is higher—At Vihare which I will investigate tomorrow. Even though there are many stories that delve into this subject my instincts tell me, he reached there by the power of his Arahantship. (Sainthood) He was a Saint that had cosmic powers to appear—materialise and dematerialise his body. (Guess)

So, why the questioning? A Saint as powerful as he was, already knew to manifest himself at the top of a Mountain to meet the King. Perhaps it was to make the King aware of the purpose.
We climbed down to see the spot Mahinda Thera chose to meditate and stay in. This is where I met the English teacher who had cycled the better parts of the world and is of the opinion that Sri Lanka is exceptionally beautiful. (See my note on the introduction)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb