Arrival in Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
June 4th 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Have arrived in Kandy and spent my first day out volunteering. Due to some interesting organization the placement situation is a little interesting but we spent the morning at a day care with 40 kids who were pretty crazy. They colored in birds that we had traced because they don't have a photo copier which makes group activities very tricky as everything must be hand made! We got some lunch (Sweet and sour chicken) and then went to a street childrens project which we were going to give up on however some kids started to arrive and then this girl who is volunteering here too. She gave us her contacts and opened up 2 new projects for us! So we'll be working with younger kids as well as some older ones.

Kandy itself is very lively and noisy (even at 6 am) and is very bustling. We're def seen as interesting subjects to study and many people try to talk to us and get our attention. As our new friend sophie informed us - its easier to get an illegal dvd than a real one and all electronics prob came off the back of a truck! I also saw some polo ralph lauren shorts for sale on the street heh.

The flat itself is great - in a nice spot up a hill by the lake and the woman who lives below us is extremely friendly and welcoming. Until the next girl arrives - jenna - she cooks us dinner which is a variety of curries and lots of rice! Last night we watched some sri lankan soap operas too which seemed extremely similar to american and british ones.

Tomorrow we're going with one of our contacts to a farm in the mountains. We have to meet the bus at 6.30 am!! However, we've been told its much cooler up there so that'll be a nice relief from the humidity. We're hopefully going to travel to the east coast next weekend to enjoy the beaches!



Advertisement



4th June 2010

this sounds a very good start
6th June 2010

new journey
Hi Emily, Great experiences already. What a wonderful idea to chronicle your journey and all it has to offer. Have fun. Regina and Rick

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb