Man, my feet are sore!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Taejon
July 28th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Will the rain stop? I guess since we've arrived near the end of the rainy season, that it's unlikely that the rain will go away for more than a few hours.... We woke up to rain, hiked in the rain, and luckily missed a big storm as we walked back to the campus.

What a day! We were told last night that we could partake in a city tour today that left at 10:30am. After breakfast, as we were trying to get ourselves organized to get down to Daejon Station on time, one of the Korean counselors caught us as we were getting ready to leave and told us she had called the tour company, and since we hadn't called a day or two ahead of time, the tour was full, sorry. We made our way down to the station anyway, to check for ourselves and to find the tourist information booth. Yes, the tour was full, but here is a map of the city!

6 of the 9 of us decided to go to Bomun-san Park where there was a cable car, a lookout point, several Buddist temples, etc. Sounded good! Well, we finally found the bus after about 6 attempts at finding the bus stop, got on and rode for what seemed a short distance before the bus driver ordered us off. Apparently, we were there. Sadly, this was not obvious nor did we know what direction to go in! We found a few signs and made our way along. We discovered a few small temples on the road leading up but quickly discovered that our map of the park lacked detail. After trying to communicate with the two guys at the traffic check-point, we realized we had no idea where we were going, except to follow the road up, up, up. And then further up! We never made it to the fortress wall, nor to outdoor concert hall or lookout point, although we did see some strange and interesting sights. Workout equipment was located many places as we climbed the steep path. Why you would want to do chin-ups or situps as you climbed a 60 degree angled slope is beyond me! Oh, and the cable car seemed to have lost its cable up the hill..... What a strange park!

After several hours of sweating, getting rained on, climbing up and down the steep slopes, and running out of water to drink, we decided to head back into the downtown area and look for some Western food. I think we'd all discovered that rice and fish are not that tasty, meal after meal.... We discovered in the outdoor market area a restaurant called Mr. Pizza. We were given an English menu (one for the six of us) and our server spoke a little English but also remembered our entire order, which was not easy given that we had ordered 3 different types of pizzas and 3 different types of drinks. Great pizza too! We topped off the meal with a short jaunt down to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream. My kind of meal!

The most difficult part of the day was trying to communicate with Korean people, since we know so very little Korean, and they know so very little English. We've used our Korean phrasebooks, shown them places on a map, used sign language and pictures, pointing, facial expressions and body language, and have had some success with communicating. Some people have been quite kind and shown us the way to places, others have drawn us maps, and some have shouted at us in Korean, I'm sure in frustration. I think I have an interesting month ahead of me!


Advertisement



29th July 2006

Sounds like fun though!!
Pizza and ice cream?! How far away are you? Glad to hear you are having a good time exploring...good prep for the CN Tower stairclimb!!!
29th July 2006

Better than fish and rice!
Trust me, Ams, after all the plain sticky rice and various fish dishes, pizza and ice cream were desperately needed!!! :D
29th July 2006

Hello from Victoria
Hey Sue! Sounds like you are having quite an adventure! Thanks for including me in your blog...between your busy teaching days and our newborn days, I realize we have not touched base for a while, so i appreciate the chance to hear from you through your blog! I can understand that the same food in repetition would get rather tiring, no matter the food is. I hope your stay will include some of the non-rainy season? I am curious to know how you are finding the teaching experience. My freind Debbie and her husband Mike are presently in China doing the same thing! They are teaching teachers, though. Who are you teaching? I will track your blog with interest, as I am confined to the 24 hour newborn routine and staying (very) close to home. :)Wendy
30th July 2006

Great to hear from you!
I too am hoping that some of my stay will include non-rainy season. We've been told that the rain should end soon (next couple of days?) but I'll believe it when I see it! We haven't actually met any children yet; they arrive tomorrow and have their placement test to gauge how strong their English is. I've heard rumours that they will all be the same age, but essentially, we were told 9-15 yrs old. So who knows? I'll keep you guys posted!

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb