so much soul in seoul... teehee


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
January 31st 2006
Published: January 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

And so we departed... midnight our time on January 29... and arrived at the Incheon Airpost a very long 14 hours later... on the 31st, 4am Korean time. The flight was strange.. I'm pretty sure we were 2 of the only four non-koreans on the flight. Cool thing, though - sometime during the 14 dark hours spent flying over Canada/Alaska/Russia/China, we saw the Northern Lights. Rad. And, we were fed some interesting meals... hotsauce in a toothpaste tube, green tea rice porridge, and even bean cakes. Yess!!! .

We landed in a very surpirsingly empty Incheon airport, though it was 4 am at the time. We then checked our bags, exchanged soem currency, and began tha agonizing quest for food. After much deliberation we decided on Mc Donalds. Cheap and open.

A nice Korean helped us out by giving us a bus ticket, and so we were off to Seoul, the Asian New York, it seems. It's huge... and big... and quite large... and full of non-english everything! Yes... everyone has a fancy cell phone, dresses well, and takes tons of pictures. After arriving at the hostel at like 9 am (ouchhh), we left to explore Insadong for a bit, and went out for an amazingly cool Korean traditional lunch at this neat place... wooden tables, cozy leather chairs, and all things very Korean. cool... we had a tough time determining whether or not peanuts were in the dishes (just kidding mom!)... but it was a huge meal... and it was awesome! strange... seaweed soup, this cabbage thing, various unidentifiable vegetables.. rice, sauce. very goood.

so now we're sitting with a finnish girl and an english guy, eating candy, sipping green tea, and hopefully going to bed early!

laterrrr!

srah and evann

Advertisement



31st January 2006

funn
it all sounds so adventurous. i bet seoul is a lot like beijing. guess what? chile for reading week this year!!! yay. i miss you already and have been thinking of you. glad to hear its all going so well. i hope the travel pack came in handy. love andrea
31st January 2006

Safe arrival!
I am so happy to hear that you arrived safely. I can't imagine a 14 hr. flight - as I had a hard time sitting still on the flight to Greece. Seoul sound quite incredible - an Asian New York - and I haven't managed to even get to New York. This pictue of you both looks great - you would never know you are functioning on so little sleep. The food looks amazing - probably a big improvement over the McDonalds fries even if they are just like the ones at home. How are your accommodations? Are there lots of travellers at the hostel? Are you still planning on your ski trip? Keep up with the blogs - this is a great way to travel vicariously! love MOM (KP)
31st January 2006

uppy uppy littlle guppy
hope you two had a good nights rest. we're all thinking about you. seems you are all anyone can talk about. hope to catch up with you later tonight if possible. This is really amazing that I can nag you from the other side of the world. Dad says hi. P.S. very funny...skip the peanut jokes!
1st February 2006

heyyyy
hey guys, oh man am I jealous. Your trip sounds wicked so far, hope you're having a great time. Hoping you dont get shivved -John
1st February 2006

YAYY Korea!
I'm glad things are going well so far! Miss you!
1st February 2006

Corner Stores
So Evan, are all the corner stores there owned by white folks? Just wondering. Hope all is well, we've rented out your room and we're making a killing. Ha, Ha,
1st February 2006

lookin good
Looks like a fab meal guys and a very pretty restaurant - excellent photo. Hard to believe there's anything out there as good as the Hunan but you'll have 4 mos to prove it (yikes). I guess no worries sarah will starve, w/ Ev's appetite never far away. That flight sounded a little exotic in itself. How's the hostel? Miss you already - take care - don't step off a curb without looking both ways you crumballs. A Deo.
3rd February 2006

quaaafff
stainless steel chopsticks own. that's all I have to say.
4th February 2006

a'juuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiccccccccceeeeeeeee
hey guys, glad to see that you made the flight alright. pretty crazy to think that you're on the other side of the world. question, are all the asians as short as oda?

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb