1st day in Seoul


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
April 6th 2008
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well...we made it to South Korea, where my friend Sheldon met us at the airport. Our flight was 2 1/2 hours late getting in and then we had serious problems finding a taxi that would take us to Sheldon's place because they were all getting off of their shifts soon. We ended up getting to his place at 3am. Yesterday, April 5, we went to Gyeongbokgung Palace which is their top historical site even though it was completely destroyed and now they are rebuilding it. We also went to the National Folk Museum, where we got audio tours. We were there for three hours and were on information overload by the time we left. We ate lots of really yummy food.
At lunch we had a Korean hamburger, which doesn't come with a bun and is a little sweet, a Korean Pizza, which had a cornmeal crust and no cheese, and Cold Noodle Soup, which tasted pickled. They also seem to really like waffles in this country (there were three places selling them in about four blocks), so we had to eat some. They were amazing! Chocolate and fresh fruit, yummm!! We also had Korean Barbeque for dinner (which we had with my friend Jeff). There is a charcoal grill which is recessed in the table and you cook your beef or whatever you got on it. There are lots of veggies and different kinds of Kimchi which you pile on sesame leaves or lettuce leaves. It was a really cool experience and delicious to boot.
We ended the night at small hole in the wall bar which had a very narrow set of stairs leading to the entrance (by the way stairs are everywhere here). It was like a tree house in that there were tree trunks and branches everywhere. It was lit by white christmas lights and candles. According to Sheldon and Steven it was as if a tsunami had launched a boat into a tree and then the rest of the block was built up around it. They kept giving us tons of different snacks, like nuts, fruit, and puffed rice (which is like popcorn, except rice).
Today we are planning on hitting a huge electronics mart and an artists market. We will see what else we come upon. Needless to say, we are having a great time (especially now that we are rested) in South Korea and finding it not to be too foreign of a place, but very interesting and delicious!



Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



6th April 2008

Gotta Love Kimchi!
I'm SOOO happy you both are having a great time! I'm thinking about ya! Like I said in my previous post, enjoy every moment you two!
8th April 2008

awesome
You sound like you are having a great time! WOW! I'm so jealous!
8th April 2008

Now you have a leg up
Just think when we go on the Amazing Race you will already know so many of the places we could end up going! I mean really how could they turn us down mentor and mentee except now it is the mentee teaching the mentor all the tricks (oh wait...I think that was what it was like when you were CoChair anyway) Have fun
13th April 2008

Hey guys love the pics looks like you are having a great time and we miss you two and we all love. dad

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb