Korea vs. Netherland


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This was my first time going to a soccer game, let alone an international match. I wasn't at all disappointed with what I saw. The Korean Red Devil's aren't the best soccer team out there, but they played hard and the fans cheered them on every minute of the game. For a 32nd row, $30 ticket I couldn't ask for much more.

Prior to going into the stadium, the exit from the subway was just madness! Swarms of people just kept pouring out of the main doors. Once you were able to push your way closer to the stadium, many vendors were selling food, beer and various apparel. I managed to buy a Korea jersey for $12 and a bandana for $1. Best deal for sports clothing EVER!!!

The match was held at Seoul Olympic Stadium which has a capacity of about 80,000. I'd say the stadium was 80% full. At the beginning of the game during the national anthem there was a HUGE flag covering a large section of fans. The flag was probably over 125ft. long and 30 rows high. This area is known as the "Red Zone" where true fans sit. At one point during the game, numerous flares were lit and waved back and forth by people in the Red Zone. The seats were right behind the net and cost only $20. The fans (in the Red Zone especially) were constantly shouting cheers and banging on large drums that echoed throughout the stands. One of the cheers - my favourite - was yelling 대 찬 민 국! (Dae-Han-Min-Guk! - "Fighting Korea") followed by 5 hand claps. At one point I started a cheer and it sounded like it made it all the way around the stadium!!

Another thing that impressed me was that the prices of food and beer inside the stadium were consistent with regular store prices. Essentially there were just many convenience stores within the stadium. This made the purchase of snack food and beer very appealing - especially when you’re used to paying $10+ for a normal sized beer.

After the game the stadium emptied surprisingly fast. This could have been attributed to the fact that Korea lost 2-0, or people just wanted to get on with their Saturday night. We hung around inside the large, main hall as people exited and many different groups of Koreans would come up to us asking for a picture. Two guys had large camera equipment and actually printed 2 pictures for me on the spot!

It was definitely a fun-filled day. The experience was something to remember and I hope to be able to see more games in the future.
대 찬 민 국!






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb