Bus Tour - Day 2


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeollanam-do » Mokpo
August 6th 2016
Published: August 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

9a Departure from Gusan.

First stop was Gusan Modern History Museum. Tour was entirely in Korean so Halahbujee followed the tour group and RoAnJoSo chose to do self-guided visit of the museum. From what we could gather, Gusan or Gunsan is a very fertile area where rice grows in abundance. This made it a very attractive target for Japanese pirates, and during the Japanese occupation of Korea, it served as a major rice storage and distribution area.

Still touring along the coast so lunch was seafood congee (Sophie picked out the clams and mussels) and a huge seafood pancake (Sophie ate the edges which didn't have any seafood). Food was very good.

Stop number two was Naesosa Temple. This Buddhist template was established in 633 CE (CE = common era = AD). There were two temples originally - a large one (Great Soraesa) and a small one (you guessed it! Small Soraesa). The original buildings were burned down during the Japanese invasion (1592 to 1597) but were reconstructed in 1633.

Stop number three was Mokpo Natural History Museum which was a really cool dinosaur museum. Being Canadian which is a land rich in dinosaur fossils, you forget that there were dinosaurs in other parts of the world, including Korea. JoSo liked this stop the best of today's sightseeing destinations.

Last stop of the day was at a theatre (can't recall name but still in Mokpo) to see traditional Korean music and dance. Halahbujee loved it so much he bought the CD.

Another long day. Hotel tonight is Hyundai Hotel. Five star hotel with a great view of the Dadohae


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb