A Weekend in Gunsan


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeollabuk-do » Kunsan
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well it is the monsoon season here so when you have a nice weekend you have to make the best of it, and that is just what we did. Saturday morning started off with a little house work and cleaning around the apartment, and Pearl helping me with my Korean.

Later in the day we had our downstairs neighbors up for a cocktail, introduced them the the greatness of the "Mai Tai", after our drink we all went across the street to Eunpa park for a cook out. Pearl and I made sandwiches, strips of chicken breast marinated in a great Lime Chipotle sauce my mom sent me. On the sandwiches we added grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, cheese, marinated peppers, it was very good. Our neighbors grilled pork, and brought Cabbage Kimchi, Onion Kimchi, and other stuff. After the main meal was over I cooked a pot of noodles(Ramyun: very popular something like snack in Korea). After dinner we played badminton for a while, walked home and played on the swings some. Some of the pictures that night are new tricks I learned, they will get better, I did not bring my tripod that night.

Sunday was a spur of the moment trip, we hoped a ferry to Sonudo Island , it was very nice and relaxing, it gave us ideas about camping out there maybe after the monsoon season. The ferry ride was over an hour long but there was on board entertainment, in the bottom of the boat was a disco/karaoke set up. Once we got to the island we had an hour to explore, Pearl and I took a van ride around to see more of the area this time, after our return we had a late lunch, bowl of noodles(cup Ramyun), we met another couple at the restaurant, and they let me try all their raw seafood, most of it was very good, the octopus(alive) was strange, it was very much alive while they chopped it up, once it was plated the tentacles would still be moving and the suction cups still had suction. After our ride back to Gunsan the couple we met at the restaurant invited us to go dancing with them, they promised that it would be a very special, unusual experience, well that got our curiosity up and we said "sure". Well, where to start? The admission fee is $1 each, you walk in and loud electronic dance music is playing, there is a huge wooden floor for dancing, 2 mirrored columns, flashing lights, disco ball....... Well this place is for ballroom dancing( cola+theque like disco+theque)? Yes you read correctly, ballroom dancing. The crowd was an older crowds all practicing their ballroom dancing skills to club music; unfortunately I could not bring in my camera. Even though I know absolutely nothing on ballroom dancing, Pearl and I did get out there and "dance". We all stayed there for about 2 1/2 hours, after which we went and had some Sam Gyup Ssl, bbq pork.

It was a wonderful weekend, next week we will be going to Boryong for their "Mud Festival" should get some very interesting pictures.

See y'all



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb