Palaces and talent show and customs


Advertisement
Published: November 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yum, YumYum, YumYum, Yum

You can get a real deal on a big bag of fish heads. (They make good soup)
Hi Folks, There are a few more pictures on this blog, so make sure you scroll down past the comment box as well as go to the second page of pictures to see the beautiful laterns.

I want to share a few customs that I found interesting. I've heard that Korea has a high rate of traffic accidents, but I haven't seen as many as I see in the states. It may have something to do with the fact that red lights are a suggestion. Buses and cars can go through them if they think it is OK. It is a bit disconcerting before you get used to it.

Most people are quite kind--especially some of the grandmothers and grandfathers. They try to make sure you have a seat on the subway. Twice "grandmothers" gave us pieces of hard ginseng candy. Elderly keep active here. They fill parks exercising. They take the metros which have exits and entrances with small mountains of stairs. Its inspiring.

In the stores they often give you something extra even if it is unrelated to your purchase. We went to a video store today and the lady gave us a good smelling soap
Apple carrierApple carrierApple carrier

Fruit is fairly expensive. These two apples are about $3.50.
bar shaped like a little pig with our two DVDs.

I went to see a talent show put on by the boys school. The girls in their class sang a couple of songs and performed a skit which was very good. Some of the kids that have been there more than one year gave a speech in Korean. How brave.

Last weekend we met the boys at a big underground mall which also had an aquarium. We ate at Pizza Hut so we could have pizza without corn on it which is how it is regularly served. We heard all the scoop about who is hard to get along with and what trouble the boys are getting into. Terrible things like staying up late and being late for morning service. I truly miss them during the week, but they are so busy with everything and have so many friends, they don't have time to miss us.

Another custom here is that many people use electric pads on their bed. We have one that we turn on before we go to bed and it keeps everything cozy. Snow flakes fell for a minute or two this morning. It
Baskin Robbins creationsBaskin Robbins creationsBaskin Robbins creations

Pretty fancy--huh?
was cold,but no real snow fell.

I have included some pictures of stuff purchased at an English store chain that resembles a nice Target superstore.

This weekend the boys went on another hiking field trip where it was pretty cold in the central part of Korea. It was almost three hours away so we decided not to go. The boys had a good time. Richard and I visited a palace which was reconstructed from the 1400s period when one of Korea's greatest Kings lived. King Seojong--he created the Korean alphabet and language. One of the coolest things was the self tour electronics. You touch the point of the electronic to the palace building you want to hear about and the lady starts talking about it. It worked very well.

The palace was next to the Korean Folk art museum where there was an exhibit of traditional Korean dress by a contemporary designer. After that, we went to the latern festival which was along a canal. The laterns were on platforms in the canal. It was beautiful and fun.

Till next time, God Bless you all,
Kasia/Kath


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Richard's B-dayRichard's B-day
Richard's B-day

We invited two friends over--not in the picture
Richard's B-day cakeRichard's B-day cake
Richard's B-day cake

The cake was good. Tomatoes are fruits and Koreans include them w/ other fruits for cake decorations. These had a sugar glaze on them as did the other fruit and they tasted wierd to us.
A funny signA funny sign
A funny sign

Have you ever eaten "advanced" pizza?
The mallThe mall
The mall

Outside the underground mall, there was a flower exhibit which Nick and Chris tolerated for about five minutes.
Toilet fishToilet fish
Toilet fish

Part of a display at the aquarium.
Traditionally dressed palace guards. Traditionally dressed palace guards.
Traditionally dressed palace guards.

In front of the palace. We watched the changing ceremony.
Yours trulyYours truly
Yours truly

Me dressed as a 14th century Korean military guy.
palace gatepalace gate
palace gate

One of the coolest things about visiting the palace is the self tour devise.
walk way of palacewalk way of palace
walk way of palace

modern Seoul in the background
Lady in playLady in play
Lady in play

Dressed in traditional clothing w/traditional hair style.
Folk MuseumFolk Museum
Folk Museum

Another type of palace architecture


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb