Ahhh, Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 6th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

The ship docked by 7 a.m., and we had to vacate our stateroom by 8 a.m. A few days ago when the ship was preparing to dock, they asked us to give them the time that we wanted to leave the ship. At that time we were unaware of the requirement to vacate the room by 8, so we asked to leave at 9 a.m. It turned out all right as we were ready and left the room by 8 and went to the dining room for breakfast while we waited for our group to be called for departure.

When it was close to 9, we went to the designated departure waiting area, but saw that there was no line waiting to leave the ship. We walked right up and off we went, found the luggage quickly, and headed for the cab stand which was quite a long walk away. We did get a cab (They all take credit cards; we don't have local currency), and had the driver take us to the Raffles Hotel.

Even though we arrived very early for check-in, they found us an available suite, the Ava Gardner suite, one of the twelve Personality Suites, which was an upgrade from the Courtyard suite we had reserved. Although they said the room was vacant and clean, they asked us to wait about thirty minutes so the housekeeper could double check it. While we waited we walked around the property a bit and quickly found the hotel shop where we bought lots of souvenirs: candy, tea, golf cap, golf balls, polo shirts, tea towels, maybe something else. During our check-in process, we received a booklet of coupons to be used in the shops in the hotel. One of them saved us about $100.00 at the shop.

When we returned from shopping, the room was ready. Our butler (yes, our butler) showed us to the room and explained all the features which included panels on each nightstand controlling all the lights and air conditioning in the room, fresh fruit on the dining table, and soft drinks in the minibar included in the room rate. He showed us how to use the key which was a real key in a little leather case. He asked if we wanted to make any reservations, which we did. He reserved a lunch table for us at a nearby restaurant that served local specialties. He said that he would return a few minutes before noon to walk us to the restaurant. He did just that, took us to the restaurant and introduced us when we arrived. One of the national dishes is chilli crab, which I tried. The crab meat was good drenched in what looked and tasted just like New Mexican red chile and served over spaghetti. I think the spaghetti was just at this restaurant and not part of the traditional dish. Phil had a pumpkin soup and a duck dish which he enjoyed.

While we were at lunch, the butler went back to our suite to pick up the shirt that Phil wanted to wear to dinner that evening so he could press it for him. It was returned to the room by our evening butler well before dinnertime.

Also, while we were at lunch, our day butler made a dinner reservation for us at the Long Bar Steakhouse on the hotel property. The Long Bar (but not the steakhouse) is famous for being the place where the Singapore Sling was invented. After lunch we went to the bar so we could try one. It seemed like the right thing to do while we were there. Singapore is a city that is known for its attention to cleanliness. (That was where a young American man was caned for vandalism a few years ago.) However, in the Long Bar, you are encouraged to eat raw peanuts with your drinks and throw the shells on the floor. That isn't unusual in the States, but in that culture it seems quite odd.

During the rest of the afternoon, we walked around the shopping mall attached the hotel and went off the property for a short while. The only historic site we visited was the Civilian War Memorial which is dedicated to the people who died during the Japanese occupation of World War II. Again we were hot and tired and retreated to the comfort and service at Raffles.

Dinner at the Long Bar Steakhouse was delicious. We both ordered the steak tasting menu. We were served two to three ounce portions of three different filets: American beef from Omaha, Australian grain-fed Angus beef, and Japanese Wagyu beef. All were wonderful and perfectly cooked. The Japanese beef was the star of the show, but, honestly, the others were just as good.

We had a great day in Singapore--most of it at Raffles. I suppose the next time we are there we should see the city. This time we just saw Raffles, and it was great. I definitely want to stay at Raffles again. I completely understand why the Austrian playwright, Wolfgang Bauer, has been quoted as asking, "While at Raffles, why not visit Singapore?"




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SignSign
Sign

The sign is old. When it says "this century" it is referring to the 20th century.
Raffles GateRaffles Gate
Raffles Gate

The Raffles Hotel was separated from the shopping and restaurants on the property by outside gates that had to be unlocked with the room key to enter.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb