Innovationation


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 15th 2006
Published: October 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday afternoon, I went to Singapore Expo to see the Innovationation exhibition. Expecting long queues and huge crowds (because the exhibition is admission-free), I was very surprised when I saw nobody queuing and very few people in the exhibition. Nevertheless, the exhibition was an interesting, impressive and inspiring experience. It showcases the technological development in Singapore and how technology integrates into our lives and makes our lives better. Beside displays of old telephones and old computers and old mobile phones, there are plenty of hands-on high-tech display. There are also many interesting facts, such as "An average Singaporean sends 200 SMS every month" & "Singapore was the first in the world to set up a mobile phone network that could be used on an underground rail system"... After the exhibition, I have a better understanding of the role of technology in Singapore and the role of Singapore in the development of technology. (Of course, I have a lot of nice things to say about this exhibition, because it's ADMISSION-FREE... Haha) Unfortunately the exhibition is open only for 5 days and it is closing tonight, so anyone who wants to visit the exhibition should rush down right now, or you can just look at the photos I took.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Can you see my name?Can you see my name?
Can you see my name?

Each person is given a personalised card which can be swiped on a sensor to access certain interactive displays. The first interactive display is a "personalised welcome". (By the way my name is the one in full CAPITAL LETTERS. Haha.)
The world's first mobile phoneThe world's first mobile phone
The world's first mobile phone

It's HUGE compared to today's mobile phones...
Some mobile phones on displaySome mobile phones on display
Some mobile phones on display

I overheard one visitor talking on her phone: "Ma! Your phone is becoming an antique! I saw your phone on display in the gallery!"
Cyber RambutansCyber Rambutans
Cyber Rambutans

There are 4 "Technospheres" offering interesting techno trivia using light and sound, but somehow I feel that the technospheres look like rambutans.
Close up of a cyber rambutanClose up of a cyber rambutan
Close up of a cyber rambutan

There are holes on the technospheres. By peering into the holes, you can see displays on a tiny screen or hear something from a speaker.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb