Life Isn't All Hee Hee Ha Ha


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 28th 2006
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Be Nice...Be Nice...Be Nice...

A sing featuring one of Singapore's many intiatives.
Welcome!

Of course we don't want to discourage anybody from coming to Singapore to visit (you are all welcome!). Suffice it to say, it takes a few hours to get here. 26 to be precise, including a stopover in London. We caught up on all of our "B" movies--"Mission Impossible III", "Friends with Money"--ate lots of airline food (the lamb wasn't too bad), and got to check out firsthand how messed up Heathrow is these days (very). To give you an idea of how goofy air travel is: you are not allowed to carry a bag larger than a small briefcase, and it must not contain any gels, liquids, or cosmetics, since ostensibly they might be used as incendiary devices on the plane. You may, however, bring safety matches, and any duty free you purchase in the airport is delivered to you just before you get on the plane. So, chapstick is off limits, but two bottles of vodka and a box of matches--that's ok!

But we made it, are doing very well, and have already unpacked (for those of you who know Stef well, this will not surprise you).

The place we are staying is called Fraser Residences. The property offers short-term, fully-furnished rentals for visiting executives, and is situated within easy access to most of the city. Our 1 bedroom is comfortable, and the building has several amenities, including free breakfast during the week, a gym and pool, and, our favorite, daily maid service. We also have what amounts to basic cable in Singapore, which is sort of like basic cable in NY or Chicago, except that it includes several Chinese channels, the BBC, and MTV Asia (which has "Pimp My Ride", to our relief). Inexplicably, one of the networks has Simpsons and Seinfeld, and even an occasional "The Office" and "Arrested Development" (a show that should not have been cancelled). Sadly, we will not have time for these programs because we saw a preview of what is certain to become our new favorite: a Singaporean soap opera, in English (we think), called "Life Isn't Always Hee Hee Ha Ha." Our feeling is, with a name like that, it has to be good. Or at least better than MI:3.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb