Food heaven, beer and sunshine - another visit to one of my faves!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
June 24th 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Quite a chilled week in Singapore this time. Arrived the Wednesday night and hit the hay, had been awake for about 30hours! It's such a late report for the flight being at 8pm UK time, I struggle to have a sleep before it and then working through the night kills me. So bed! The next day myself and another lady on the crew went to the beach at Sentosa. Got the free bus this time, and the monorail. So many different ways to get there - taxi, cable car (which gives you amazing views) , bus and a monorail. Just chilled on the beach for few hours, I had some sushi with me - love it! Had a wander around and found a little indoor food street market which looked really good. Got the bus back and went to meet the crew for dinner. Was only us two that were there and the flight crew boys. Everyone else was chilling in their room or beds I think. So we ventured on, I took them to Lau Pa Sat where I had gone to last time. The indoor section was still under renovation so we sat out at Boon Tat Street which they close off at night. Had some jugs of beer, chicken, beef and prawn satay, rice, noodles, grilled otah fish which comes in a bamboo leaf. So much food! Actually in food heaven. We walked back towards hotel, really nice walk. Went by The Fullerton Hotel which is very posh and Merlion Park. Got amazing views of Marina Bay Sands from here. I went on to meet one of my friends, called James, that I had met when doing this trip before in our local bar. So great to see him as didn't know he was meant to be here. We had few drinks here with other people from crews and then when the band finished we got some beers from SevenEleven and went back to my room. My friend Maria had arrived tonight too, so she popped round for a little drink aswell which was lovely. Was a rather late one and ashamed to say I slept until 2pm the next day. Bit of a wasted day but I dont mind as glad that I got plenty sleep before heading on to Sydney in the evening. Definitely feeling well rested!

Once back in Singapore after being away to Sydney over a couple of days I just had a pretty chilled time. Went a big three hour walk around the city - walked along the front of the Fullarton Hotel again, Merlion Park, past Lau Pa Sat which had reopened and was absolutely mobbed! Went along to Chinatown, down to Clark Quay and then back to hotel. Exhausted, too hot to be walking around! We all met for dinner and drinks that night. Went to a place called Maggies. It's run by a sweet little lady who did a great job keeping up with all our orders. There was a about eight of us and we all just ordered random things off the menu and had like a buffet style dinner. Was so good! Could live off this food. One of the choices was 'cereal prawn' which I had seen a few times on menus out here. It's literally a prawn coated in corn flakes - sounds vile but it works! Yummy. Went to the local after here for a few. Quite a tame night this time, watching the pennies. It is really expensive for drinks out here, can easily spend a fortune and whole months allowances in one trip.

The last day a few of us walked to Bugis Market. Got some bits and bobs, good here for some tat. Got a bit of everything happening. Treated myself to a little shellac manicure for a fiver aswell, can't go wrong. Then grabbed some lunch, pool and bed as off home on this night. Even though didn't do very much the week did fly by. Enjoy these trips, especially the food. Found a new fave on this trip called Kaya - it's like a coconut jam. You have toast with Kaya butter or Kaya balls - had both and bought a jar of Kaya from the supermarket to take home. Hope it survives the journey!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement





Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb