Garden at the Bay and Marina Sands


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 27th 2013
Published: October 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

When Singapore does things, it does them big and it does them well. Five years ago the area lying to the south of the Fullerton Hotel was a massive building site. There were rumours of a casino, a hotel and a garden. Despite several massive financial, construction and labour force problems, the site has a world-class hotel with capacity of over 2600 guests, restaurants and a garden that is a mega-sensory experience on a massive scale.

We caught a taxi to the Gardens at the Bay and spent the morning exploring the many different themed areas. Passing the usual gift shop, restaurants and information kiosks, we set of in the general direction of the 'centre' of the garden. This was marked by around a dozen large 'trees' which had been constructed from metal frames onto which orchids and creeping plants had been placed. There were lifts inside three of the 'trees' and it was possible to ascent to a viewing 'sky-way' which formed a high-level crescent walkway providing excellent views of the Sands Bay complex as well as the gardens. The largest of these mechanical trees has a restaurant at the top.

Bearing in mind that this complex is less than 5 years old, it is amazing that so many large and mature plants have been installed and are all growing well. The themed gardens included Colonial, Indian, Chinese and Silver formats. Wide walkways lead through the landscape and these in turn split into smaller, more intimate pathways through the trees and planted beds. The general aim seemed to be to encourage people to come, enjoy, relax and stay. But we were drawn across the bridge that separates the Gardens from the Marina Sands area.

Approaching such a large building makes one feel very small. The size is gigantic and the overall scale mesmerising. First we visited the hotel lobby - which must be one of the largest in the world. It was throbbing with activity. People checking out, checking in, bellboys and concierges in smart uniforms, dozens of reception desks and a battery of lifts to whisk residents up to the 50th floor and higher. There were cafes, shops and stalls in the lobby.

We decided that we should take the lift right up to the very top of the building to a viewing platform. It cost around $40 each to go up and the lift ascended the 57 floors in under 30 seconds. On exiting the lift a uniformed sales person offered us a picture that had been taken on our way into the lift on the lobby floor. I hate this type of speculation because it makes you feel morally bound to buy the photo - a bit like the aerial photos of your house that are offered to you on the doorstep. I refused the photo as it was far too expensive but Hazel went back later and negotiated a substantial discount! Well done 😊

The viewing area gave spectacular panoramas of Singapore and the bay to the south. We were very lucky with the weather and it was also not too windy. We were able to pick out Singapore landmarks and see much of the island. Using my new Samsung mobile phone, I was able to take a number of +180 degree panoramic shots to capture most of the city below.

After a refreshing cool drink we headed back down and returned to the Gardens by the Bay. There were more people around and we noticed that many of the secluded areas were now the venue for parties of young girls. I suddenly remembered that the foreign au-pairs used to meet on a Sunday afternoon at Lucky Plaza. This new venue seemed a lot nicer and they had put on their Sunday best and brought picnics. We even heard strains of 'Happy Birthday' being sung as well as music from home far away. These hard-working girls often work away for a year before going home and normally send money back to their families.

The expatriate Indian workers meet in Bugit Road on their one day off. We had hoped to go there but simply did not have time.

Having spent time in the Orchid garden on Tuesday we decided not to visit the two massive plant-houses but to head back to the hotel. A short taxi-ride and we were back in the coolness and comfort of Wangz. The afternoon was spent packing/re-packing. Due to all of the shopping that had unintentionally been brought back, we were obliged to buy a new suitcase to take the excess.

Being our last night in Singapore, we decided to eat in Tiong Bahru food market again and decided that the Thai Green Curry was what we wanted. Unfortunately they had just sold out so we had to settle for something else. As on our previous visit, the meal was excellent and cost less than £5 for the two of us including soft drinks. I order cane sugar juice with lemon - excellent!


Additional photos below
Photos: 119, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb