Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 16th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

16.3.2012

Travel Day. Flight to Singapore, nothing exciting happened. Arrived in Singapore and got the MRT to Little India were our hostel was. We arrived to our hostel about 7ish, so was too late to do anything. Little India wasn't that nice, a bit in your face and smelt. We booked a boat trip at the hostel for the next day nd went to bed. Back to a dorm, oh how we have missed them!

17.3.2012

We made our way to Raffles Landing where the boat was separrting from. The trains (MRT) were very efficient, cheap and clean. The boat took us up and down the river which cuts Singapore in two. We had a running commentary which pointed out the main sights and buildings, with an explanation. It's very nice city, lots of modern skyscrapers mixed with old style buildings close to the rivers edge. The boat quay was a row of nice looking cafe's on the river, with big sky scrapers behind. We could see imposing reminants of British rule, with lots of colonial buildings. Bridges and buildings made in Great Britain and named after monarch's.

We then went to the electronics mall - which was crazy, 5 floors of laptops, cameras, phones etc. We decided to buy a notebook which we were very happy with and couldn't wait to get back to try. It was so hot and humid - the sweat was dripping off us. We were having to go in air-conned buildings to cool off. When we got back we bought tickets at the hostel for the night safari. It was really fun, we got a tram around the zoo, and got off at stops to walk around ourselves. It was a little bit eerie in the dark with all the noises. We got to see lots of animals, some that we havn't seen before in other zoo's. Our favourite were the sloth bears, they were being very nosey. They are the type of bear that are used in circuses and taught to dance.

18.3.2012

We made our way to the MacRitchie resevoir after a few trains and a walk. We had heard about some recommended walks around it but it was so hot we did our own thing. Walking a little bit then finding some shade to cool off in. There are nice gardens all around it full of wildlife - even monkeys. We had lunch in one of the cafe's there then headed back to Little India. After a read and a Skype session we got ready and headed for a night in Singapore! We grabbed something to eat in one of the malls then headed for the Raffles Hotel. We went the famous long bar for a Singapore Sling. We both had an original one and it was the nicest cocktail we have very had! On every table is a box of monkey nuts. Once you crack the shell and eat the nuts you just throw the shell on the floor. The floor as you can imagine is full of them. The waiters are dressed in old fashioned attire keep filling up your bowl of nuts, from big sacks of them kept under the stairs. The bar is old looking too, probably how it used to be when the hotel was built many years ago. Instead of air-con, they had rows of hand held fans that were on a meachanism that waved back and forth. We enjoyed our time in there.

We then walked around to Marina Bay. We got there just in time for the light show. It was amazing with the city lt up at night and the laser's everywhere. We then had a look in the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. There is a boat that sits on the top of the towers. We went up to the top on the 57th floor. We said to the security we were going up for a drink but just went to look at the city and take some photies. We then had a look around the mall that was inside the hotel. All the big name shops were inside and definately out of our backpacker budget! M x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb