A whistle stop tour of Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 6th 2011
Published: March 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After almost three weeks in Cambodia, Singapore was a shock to the senses! The place is covered in air-conditioned shopping centres, immaculate tube stations, and thousands of places to eat and drink. It's also very humid, and very, very expensive! Gone are the days of 30p beer! We only had three nights here and aimed to fit in as much as possible. They're investing lots of money in tourist attractions so you've got everything from aquariums to indoor snow cities to Universal studios.

Armed with our three day tourist pass (much like an Oyster card), we explored the shopping centres in search of an SLR camera as you can claim back the tax. There was too much choice and we kept getting side tracked so I think we'll leave it until we get home and have researched it more! We had dinner in Little India that night and ate the most amazing authentic food! I'm really getting into my veggie curries!

The next day we headed to the world class Singapore Zoo. The majority of the animals are in open pens with no cages, and are kept in their areas with strategically placed walls and rivers. They even had a free ranging Orang-utan zone, where the apes are swinging around above your head. Pretty impressive. We also got to feed the white rhinos and giraffes which I loved. The zoo do a night safari which is meant to be amazing but we were too tired to do that too. The humidity really takes it out of you. Instead we explored the Quays and spent the evening strolling around, eating, and photographing the skyline. They've got some amazing structures such as the Marina Bay Sands, which looks like an ocean liner stuck on top of three skyscrapers. Not sure I like it but it's certainly impressive.

Our last day consisted of more sight seeing and a trip on the Singapore Flyer (their version of the London Eye). We ended up getting caught in the most almighty thunderstorm (the deafening thunder should of been a giveaway that it was coming!), and got soaked trying to get back to our hotel.

In the evening we met up with Nicki and went for Singapore Slings at the Raffles hotel. Once again, very expensive! They were £15 each with tax and service but you did get some free nuts, so you know, every cloud...! After that it was dinner by the Quays and then walking past bars we couldn't afford to drink in! We found a tapas place that was £35 for a jug of sangria - bargain!? Lol We had to be up early for our flight to Langkawi the next day so didn't mind the detox.

We both loved Singapore but it was so tiring! After the sight seeing in Siem Reap I think we need a couple of well deserved beach days. Bring on Malaysia!

Love Emma & Dave xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Orang-utan wearing sackOrang-utan wearing sack
Orang-utan wearing sack

I don't know where he got it from and why he was wearing it, but he seemed to get annoyed when it slipped off!
Dave and the SteamboatDave and the Steamboat
Dave and the Steamboat

You BBQ your own food on the top, and a soup is poured around the edge. Amazing!
Marina Bay SandsMarina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands

We were going to go up to the top but it cost $20 each, so we decided against it!
Raffles Singapore SlingRaffles Singapore Sling
Raffles Singapore Sling

A snip at $25 plus tax and service!
Singapore skylineSingapore skyline
Singapore skyline

Really could of done with a better camera for these views!


6th March 2011

Giraffe!!
Hi you two! I'm SO jealous that you got to feed a giraffe! Sound and looks like you are having a fantastic time... Keep up with blogging! Ali xxxx
6th March 2011

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS now that sounds like my type of place :-)

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb