The 'King of Fruit' and Singapore Slings


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 20th 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

(Matt) Throughout South East Asia a big green thorny fruit know as Durian is considered to be the 'King of the Fruit'. Durian lovers consider the fleshy inner seeds as a delicacy to be savoured. After months of putting it off, we eventually tried it on our last day in Singapore (which was also our last day in Asia) and it made us feel a bit sick. The texture is like raw chicken, it smells like cheesy feet and the worst thing is that when it repeats on you (and it's reknowned for doing so!) the smell intensifies. For me the taste which I thought was quite bland couldn't overcome these negative aspects. A well known saying in Asia is that Durian 'tastes like heaven and smells like hell', the smell is so bad that many Asian hotels ban it and in Singapore you're not allowed to eat it on the underground train system!

In contrast to westerners general dislike of Durian, the opposite is true of the Merlion (half lion, half mermaid), this 9 metre high statue is the symbol of the Singapore Tourism Board. It is loved by tourists and detested by locals. Many see it as a terrible visual cliché for representing Singapore. It does look a bit like something from a Disney cartoon. It probably says something that a brand new building opposite the Merlion is loved... it looks suspiciously like a certain foul smelling fruit!

In my opinion one of the best reasons for visiting Singapore is to visit the birthplace of the Singapore Sling. We went for drinks at the Raffles Hotel Long Bar the place where the Singapore Sling was invented (Original Recipe). We were quickly drawn into the pleasant colonial surroundings of this fantastic place. We loved the mechanical ceiling fans, dark wood, low lighting, live band and the crunch of monkey nut shells that for some reason everyone throws on the floor. It was slightly dissappointing that at 10 quid a go the famous Singapore Sling was on tap! You had to be eagle eyed as it was poured into a cocktail shaker. However, this didn't take anything away from the taste or from the ambience.

Singapore is a brilliant place to spend a few days, as long as you spend most of it in the extensive air conditioned subways, malls and buildings. I'd also advise staying away from the King of Fruit especially if you want to keep your friends!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The brilliant Night Safari The brilliant Night Safari
The brilliant Night Safari

The world's first Night Safari, most of the good animals sleep in the day so this is an excellent idea.
Crazy photo opportunityCrazy photo opportunity
Crazy photo opportunity

Before the return cable car journey everyone was given the option of having a photo in front of a backdrop. Just around the corner was the actual scene but in real-life!
Har Par VillaHar Par Villa
Har Par Villa

We went to a crazy and surreal garden that was created by one of the brothers who founded 'Tiger Balm'. Inside they had a mock-up of the '10 Courts of Hell' where appropriate punishment is dished out for each sin. I was particularly impressed with 'Cheating in Exams' = disembowelment, quite strict then!
Easy TigerEasy Tiger
Easy Tiger

Actual car used by Tiger Balm founder, apparently the horn makes it roar and the eyes flash red!


4th June 2008

Brave!
Well done, I was never brave enough to try a durian!!!

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb