Singapore - sling me a Sling will you?


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 26th 2005
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Singapore SlingSingapore SlingSingapore Sling

Emma and I "enjoying" our cocktails in the bar they were created.
I flew to Singapore to meet my house-mate from uni Steve, and his older brother Chris, as well as Emma, my friend from back home in Basingstoke. The reputation of Singapore's airport had preceded it as one of the nicest in the world, and when I arrived it didn't disappoint! Mints and sweets were being handed out, internet was on offer for free and the staff were actually friendly!!

The four of us got reacquainted, and wandered down Orchard Road, the main thoroughfare in the city. With Steve, Chris and I being used to much more expensive parts of the world we were amazed at what we could buy for a measly $1SD (about 35p I think), and went on a mission to see what we could buy. Unfortunately this included a “birds nest” soft drink which was absolutely disgusting!

We visited Raffles Hotel and found our way to the Long Bar - the only bar which backpackers are allowed into - in order to enjoy the obligatory Singapore Sling in the place where it was invented. It turned out to be a massive disappointment as the modern Raffles Singapore Sling is an overpriced pre-mixed concoction served purely to
Mer-LionMer-LionMer-Lion

Chris and I in front of the Mer-Lion down in Singapore's harbour.
fuel the demand from backpackers and tourists like us!

We continued our night and visited the Soisshotel as it contained a club on its 71st floor which had the most amazing views of the city!!! Entrance cost a princely S$20 and included one drink. Unfortunately the chill out lounge on the 71st floor where we wanted to sample our beverage seemed to be used to slightly higher rollers than 4 smelly backpackers, and was mysteriously "full" when we asked to be shown to a table - d'oh! Despite this set-back, it was a great experience as the Singapore skyline lit up at night was great to view from on high.

Emma and I also visited a waterpark called “Wild, Wild and Wet” which was good fun and included a fun vert which you rode in pairs on a figure of 8 raft. In my absence, Steve and Chris arranged our transport northwards and the next morning we said our goodbyes to Emma and struck northwards to Malaysia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 22; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb