Shopping and Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 30th 2006
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well i am backdating this entry as i couldn't access the internet whilst in Singapore due to the earthquake in Taiwan!

When we arrived in Singapore it was absolutely chucking it down, and someone kindly informed us that it had rained for the last 11 days... however we must have brought the good weather with us as it didn't rain for the next 2 days!! On our first night, we stayed in a place called Sleepy Sams, which was opposite a brilliant pashmina shop, and i couldn't resist buying one or two (well actually i got 7 for the equivalent of about 27 pounds!!) and then we went to Raffles just so we could say we had been there. It was a very nice hotel, and looked extremely posh, with all the staff dressed immaculately, however i was not expecting the Long Bar to look as it did - on the bars and on every table were boxes of monkey nuts for you to help yourself to - and then everyone was throwing the shells onto the floor - really took me by surprise but we soon started munching away ourselves! We then went to a place called Clarke Quay where there were lots of expensive bars and clubs, very nice but not a place we could afford to stay for too long. The next day we moved to a place called the Prince of Wales, which on the face of it you would think had actually had a visit from the Prince as they had 2 pictures in there of him looking at bottles of alcohol... however when questioning the barman it transpired that the Prince has not been there, but that the pictures are there to " promote the fact that he tried the alcohol that they serve there". Wonder what the palace would have to say about that lol!

The next day we went into the town more, and I can completely agree with Tim's guidebook, that if there was a national sport for Singapore it would be shopping!! there are so many shops, it would be most girls dream to come with an empty case and go crazy - and most things are extremely cheap! So i bought 2 pairs of crocs - flip flop type things, and decided it would be wise to send some things back home - so there is a big box of stuff winging it's way back to mine now... and i don't think it will be the last one! The second night we went to see the night safari at the Singapore Zoo, and saw so many different animals, but we were not allowed to use our flashes and so i don't have many pictures to show for it. We met a Canadian called Emily when back at the hostel/pub and we met up with her the next day, and went shopping and then we went to watch a film called "a night in the museum". I really enjoyed it and found it funny - no idea if it is out yet in the UK but it had Ricky Gervais, Steve Coogan, the blonde one from You, Me and Dupree, Ben Stiller, Robin Williams and loads more!

Finally i thought i was all shopped out and we headed to the airport to fly to Bali for New Years Eve, when i decided to treat myself to a new watch, as i had accidentally worn mine one day in Koh Tao when diving and ruined it... however i couldn't make my mind up and so i bought 2 watches. Had a bit of embarassment as my card was stopped as a security precaution, as Marbles considered me spending money in Singapore as abnormal spending, but it got sorted fairly easily and i am now free to spend to my hearts content until March when they will resume normal security procedures 😊 I tried some sushi at the airport, and wasn't as bad as i thought it might be, as most of it is rice, crab sticks and smoked salmon - but couldn't bring myself to try any of the more exoctic things like octopus! I also bought a gizmo at the airport so i can finally start uploading photos onto here, but the connection is so slow that you will all have to bear with me on that as it may take a while!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb