RTW Day 78 - Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 4th 2018
Published: May 5th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arrive in Singapore at 8 am. I’m too old for this overnight travel. Technically it’s 6 hours until we can check in, but I pray a room will be available sooner (if not I may cry). Unfortunately the hotel has no rooms before midday. It’s disappointing because we are tired and frankly quite stinky, but we decide to go and see some sights.

Singapore, the ‘Garden City’ is a revelation after the filth and pollution of Sri Lanka. There are flowers on traffic islands, flowers on bridges, flowers on buildings, flowers everywhere. And no rubbish to be seen anywhere.

We start at the Formula 1 pit lane, then cross the Helix Bridge to the ArtScience Museum. They have an exhibition on Art from the Streets which is very interesting. After lunch at the food court in the enormous Marina Bay Sands complex, we head back for a few hours sleep.

In the evening we visit the Gardens by the Bay. These contain the Supertree Grove; huge metal structures resembling trees which are planted with ferns, orchids and climbers. You can take a lift to the Skyway and walk between the super trees which provides a great view of the gardens and the bay. Coolest of all, at night the supertrees perform a sound and light show. It’s a re-enactment of Star Wars and it’s fantastic. We lie on the grass listening to that iconic music and watching the light show in the trees.

Just time to get to the bay for Singapore’s other must-see nighttime attraction; Spectra. It’s a spectacular musical performance of fountains, lights and lasers. It makes Las Vegas seem rather ordinary. It’s been a great night, but we are weary from our overnight journey, so are grateful to get back to the hotel to rest.

























Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb