Singapore Slingers


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Orchard Road
June 20th 2011
Published: June 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Singapore - safe, clean city. Tidy, polite, respectful people. No eating or drinking in public. People are not overweight and dress well. No crime is tolerated in tourist areas. Changi Airport is a dream to go through with its wide open spaces, great organisation, excellent signage and connection to the tube. Food is brilliant and safe. If you like shopping it is paradise and the Australian dollar is very strong so enjoy a 25% discount with Australian currency. Now is the time to visit from Australia and it's only a 5 hour flight.
The tube is safe very easy to use and people are very helpful ( in stark contrast to the Moscow underground). We went to the new Marina development and attached are some pictures of the infinity pool and precinct. The prosperity is striking and it all stems from hard work. Singapore is prepared to offer China what it wants and to facilitate the development of any business that is profitable from shipping to computer chips.
We stayed in the Goodwood Hotel which is a British Colonial type Hotel. James' family used to live behind it in another era. It is 5 star and provides outstanding service. You ask someone where the lift is or where the business centre is, they personally take you there and smile. Nothing is too much trouble. Civility. In the restaurant they hover with ice water, coffee and are eager to answer menu questions, give directions or engage in conversation with a genuine smile. These hotels can be booked for a song through Agoda which is a web engine James uses for discount/last minute accomodation all over Asia. Zugi is the web site for cheap flights.
Starting our trip and ending our trip in 5 star accomodation ( we paid 3 star prices thanks to Agoda) was a great move. I had a lot of sleepless nights on the trip, be it with lions roaring whilst under canvas or train carriages shunting in Russia or dogs barking at Jackals and Hyenas in Africa. James slept through every night no matter where we were and a Stilnox sleeping tablet dispatches him to sleep effortlessly on planes.
It will be wonderful to finish soon and get out of the backpacker/camping clothes we have worn for 2 months. It is sad to be finishing but it has been great to bring all of you with us on the journey. James and I are still close friends bonded by our extrovert tendancies and curiosity for what is over the horizon. Someone asked me to recommend a travel book. "Dark Star Safari" overland from Cairo to Cape Town by Paul Theroux is excellent and gives a great insight into true Africa and how pooly understood it is by the West.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



21st June 2011

Thank you.
Have thoroughly enjoyed the tales of the two Vets.
21st June 2011

Many Thanks Peter

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb