A Sleepy Day One in Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
August 11th 2015
Published: August 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Little India Little India Little India

Inside the market with all the smells and sounds.
Tuesday 11 August 2015

Our thirteen hour flight from Paris seemed to go reasonably quickly. It was a strange flight. If we kept our watches on Paris time it showed we landed at 1:20 am. Needless to say we hardly slept. Saw two films, ate two meals, enjoyed in-flight snacks, read e-books, wrote a blog. There was one short bumpy section over the Bay of Bengal. Because of the late departure from Paris there were a large number of passengers starting to get concerned as we got closer to Singapore. Many had onward connections that they thought they were at risk of missing. Three passengers tried to leave their seats before the plane came to a stop. When the plane did stop they ran the length of the plane to be first off. Why would you plan your holiday with such a tight schedule, especially if you had to change terminals in such a large airport.

We sauntered to Immigration to find just a few people there. This was going to be a breeze. The Intrepid Duo fronted up to the officer only to be told, "One at a time please. Return behind the line!" "Welcome to Singapore" we
Little India Little India Little India

Trying to decide which Bollywood outfit to buy.
thought. What a grump. She must have been up all night, just like us. In the other queues adventurous duos were able to front up together. With the words "Penalty is Death" printed in red on our arrival card it says it all. Our friend in Paris is true to his word, our bags are there ahead of everyone else's bags. The pen is mightier than the sword. Everything went well from then on. A quick visit to the Singapore Stopover Counter to collect vouchers, shuttle ride to the hotel, and yes, your room is ready. The temperature is a pleasant 28 but humidity is very high. We feel the need to cut this thick curtain of air with a knife to make any progress.

After checking in and a quick visit to a cafe it was back to the room for an hours rest. There was an awful noise from the bathroom. Team member was demolishing the tap. Two hours later we woke feeling awful but we needed some exercise. We have been to Singapore before. Last time we bought swipe cards for the MRT underground. We fronted up to the pleasant information officer and asked if our
Little India Little India Little India

The shop houses of Little India.
cards were still eligible. "You've had these cards some time haven't you? Sorry but they expired a couple of years ago." So with our new cards that expire in 2021 we take our first trip. The Singapore MRT is impressive. Clean, quiet, fast, and loaded with well behaved passengers. There are places to queue while waiting for the train, places to walk when leaving the train, signage is clear, and young people offer you a seat. What a change from Paris and London.

We make a brief exploratory trip to Little India, wander through an open market, check out the Bollywood costumes, discuss toys with a stall holder and buy some good strong petersham ribbon for tying the suitcase handles together (50 cents a metre, at that price we did not haggle). There is rain in the air so back to the hotel in time for a skype call to NZ. First hiccup of the day, our swipe card wouldn't let us back into the room. Not a problem, armed with two new cards we gained access to the room. The tap looks decidedly in need of a plumber. We'll let reception know later. A light meal first.
Singapore Singapore Singapore

One of those interesting ultra modern high rise buildings.

It is early but feels very late. Second hiccup of the day, we can't get back into the room. Back to reception. This time we are welcomed by the Senior Duty Manager. She explained that the cards are very sensitive and she comes to our room with us. Good time to explain about the tap. She agreed the tap needed fixing. We had a choice, stay where we were (standard room on the 8th floor looking at the roof next door) or pack our bags and get an upgrade. What a decision. We moved to the 17th floor with wonderful views across the city. Well why not, premier people in premier class accommodation, not to be confused with Premiere Classe hotels in France. We go to wash our hands. The tap stem is very loose and feels as if it will come away from the bench at any moment. Perhaps we should go back to the duty manager and explain. The penthouse is looking closer every moment.

We wanted to finish this trip on a high and that has certainly been achieved. Well! Why not.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Singapore Singapore
Singapore

A night time view from our bedroom window.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb