From India to ... India


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
September 1st 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

12th Stop - Singapore


Fountain of WealthFountain of WealthFountain of Wealth

Largest fountain in the world
Leaving India was a little sad after all the time we'd spent there, however once on the flight, and the free drinks were flowing we'd forgotten all about it. On arrival at the airport we were instantly impressed with how modern it is, the toilets being the biggest change from what we'd become accustomed to, not only did they actually flush, they did it automatically. Once clear of customs we were handed 3 litres of alcohol, unfortunately this is not a singaporean tradition, so don't expect it if you come here, it was just 2 aussies who were thwarted by the no liquids ruling on hand luggage. So in high spirits (literally), we headed to Little India where we could re-enter modern society in small steps so as not to be overcome by it. Getting around in Singapore is very easy, as you'd expect form any modern city, we used the underground almost all the time and were happy to walk around the rest of the time. We stayed for the first time on this trip in a dorm room, so were expecting a bit of a lively crowd of fellow travellers. Unfortunately our sole roomate at the time spent the whole time asleep and berating us with her eyes any time we turned on the lights (no windows in the room).

Next morning we felt refreshed and wide awake after the spa like treatment we received in the shower (better than our showers at home), and with fresh clean clothes as well. We walked around to see what Singapore had to offer, which mostly consisted of giant shopping malls, and giant fountains. The one we went to was apparently the largest in the world, with attached to it aparently the largest shopping centre in Asia. We also saw the Raffles Hotel, unfortunately out of our price range, with giant shopping centre attached. After this we went for lunch near the Esplanades theatre, basically Singapore's version of the Sydney Opera House, also with the obligatory giant shopping centre attached. Watched a little of the Singapore Triathlon whilst having lunch.
After lunch we did the Tiger Live Experience, and an experience it certainly was. We learnt all about the brewing process of Tiger beer, my favourite being the Hip Hops. Followed by a free glass of Tiger, which was all we'd really wanted form the tour. Then bought our souvenier T-shirts
SingaporeSingaporeSingapore

The view from Mount Faber
and received a free glass (which i'm sure will last long). Went back to the hostel to find the girl in our room still asleep and now joined by another girl getting changed into her pyjamas, all this at around 6pm. So we headed out to Chinatown to eat. All of the cheap places to eat are simple food stalls lining the road, with tables set out in front, or large covered food halls. All the food here is really good, and is really cheap, although not too cheap, this is Singapore.

Next day we made our own breakfast for the first time since leaving home, only Nutella on toast but it was still great. After this we went to Mount Faber, not really a mountain at only 100m or so, and actually not even as tall as most of the buildings around. But still, the views were quite nice but not much to do up there so we came straight back down. planned to do a little shopping in the afternoon but a downpour started that lasted most of the day. Still managed to shop though as most of the malls are connected by underground walkways. Back to
Pulling a TigerPulling a TigerPulling a Tiger

Rosie pulling a tiger at the tiger live experience.
Chinatown for more cheap food before heading to the Night Safari. This is a lot better than expected and we got to see loads of animals, they specialise in nocturnal animals so thankfully they were all awake. We weren't allowed to use flash photography so we didn't get many pictures.

Next morning we left Singapore wishing we could stay longer, but knowing that we couldn't really afford to.

Next Stop Malaysia

more soon

Neil and Rosie
xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

sri mariamman templesri mariamman temple
sri mariamman temple

Buddhist temple in Chinatown area of Singapore
Smith StreetSmith Street
Smith Street

Street with Hawker stalls in Chinatown
Tooth Relic TempleTooth Relic Temple
Tooth Relic Temple

It seems that there may be more than one Buddha tooth around, either that or someones lying.
Fire BreathingFire Breathing
Fire Breathing

At the night safari
Mystery AnimalMystery Animal
Mystery Animal

This is why we don't have many pictures form the safari. If you can guess what animal it is you win a prize.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb