Top 10 Ski Resorts for Powder Skiing


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Holland Village
July 14th 2014
Published: July 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Powder skiing is an exciting activity for the experienced skier. The deeper the snow, the more enjoyable powder skiing is for the seasoned skier. If you are a fan of powder skiing, you will, no doubt, be interested in knowing some of the top ski resorts to catch your thrill.

1. Alta

Undoubtedly one of the best, Alta has abundance of powder and the ticket prices here are very moderate compared to what are obtainable in most other ski resorts in its vicinity. It is also less crowded than most other ski resorts nearby.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird is strategically located in Utah, about 29 miles away from Salt Lake City Airport, which is one of the reasons it is a popular ski resort. It is head to head with neighboring Alta in terms of the quality and quantity of snow. Arguably one of the biggest ski resorts -- by area -- in the United States, Snowbird has a slightly-wooded, steep terrain.

3. Alped'Huez

An avid powder skier will certainly like it here. Alped'Huez in France features a large off-piste terrain, with some sections having descents of 2,000 meters or higher. One of these is the descent from La Pyramide towards Vaujany. If you would love something lower, you can try out the descent from Signal to Villard Reculas.

4. Whistler

Located in Canada, Whistler is said to have the largest ski area in North America. There are fantastic high bowls and chutes on the upper sections of the twin mountains, Whistler and Blackcomb.

5. Jackson Hole

Popular for its massive snowfalls and low crowd, the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort in Wyoming, USA is a great ski resort for powder lover. But due to its variable terrain as well as weather and snow conditions, this location is best suited to experienced powder skiers.

6. Grand Targhee

Situated in Wyoming, Grand Targhee is known for its consistent snowfalls. Snowmaking machines are not the norm here, as the resort gets an average of over 504 inches of snow annually. In some years, Grand Targhee gets more than 600 inches -- about 50 feet -- of snow.

7. Vail

This is a wonderful location for all skiing skill categories. Vail has large groomed terrain way more than most other ski resorts. It also features the biggest ski school in the US. Vail is not only one of the most-frequented ski resorts in Colorado, but also in the entire country.

8. Verbier

A Swiss ski resort, Verbier offers a wide range of options for the powder aficionados that may not be accessible in many other places. If you have the gut, you can try out the descent from Mont Gele. Otherwise, the Stairway will do.

9. Big White

One of the things that make this Canadian ski resort a great off-piste destination is its abundance of easy terrain. This makes it perfect for learning powder skiing. Snow-covered trees -- snow ghosts -- have become a signature of the Big White.

10. Revelstoke

Located in British Columbia, Canada, Revelstoke is highly popular as a powder destination. It boasts the largest vertical drop in North America. Crowd is not a serious issue around here.

For more information about skiing and snowboarding hotspots check out GoSki.co.uk guides and reviews, they offer advice about the best destinations year round. So get set for hitting the slopes this winter, happy powder hunting.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb