Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Geylang
May 10th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hmm... remember two months ago, when I last blogged and said I wouldn't leave it as long the next time? Well now that I've reminded you can you please forget because I have run out of excuses!
So: Singapore.

Singapore was enjoyable. We arrived after a fairly long flight at 7am and were instantly faced with the culture shock that South East Asia had in store for us.
We stood outside trying to enjoy an eagerly anticipated cigarette while being hounded constantly for taxi custom. We did a small amount of bartering (more as a formality than anything else. It was so cheap!) and got into a taxi with a very friendly man who spoke fantastic English. He gave us plenty of tips on what to pay for things and explained to us that our hostel was in greater Singapore which meant we would get a good idea of the contrast between different areas.
As it is, Singapore seems a good way of weening yourself into the culture shock that is South East Asia. It is seen as the great success story of the area with a really strong economy that means that, in the city, it is not a world off of what you are used to at home.
Everyone tells you that the things to do in Singapore are shop and eat and that was essentially true of our five days there. We'd also been told that Singapore was an immaculately clean, garden city full of parks. But as we stayed outside of the center we were able to see a contrast.
We used the MRT to get around, which is the equivalent of London's underground but cleaner and more efficient. Around Orchard Road area we were faced with a dynamic metropolis that could rival London or New York (although much cleaner!). There were all the familiar shops: Burger King, Topshop and even a Marks and Spencer! (we bought Percy Pigs and Laura took a picture of the shop front for her Nan!).
The great thing about Singapore is that you can travel to the city center and shop as much as you like in air conditioned shops, be greeted by friendly faces and eat Haagen Daaz and then travel back to the outskirts where you get greeted by pungent ramshackle lanes of markets (all carrying a stinky fruit call Durian that you will smell everywhere we've been to in Asia). You can eat at Hawker Food Courts where for under a pound you can buy a full plate of rice with two different meat / veg dishes!
While we were there we stayed in a cute little hostel ran by what at first seemed like a very hostile little old lady who turned out to be actually very friendly. This was also our first experience of shower cubicles that are just the size you would expect of a small shower cubicle except that they have a toilet crammed into the corner for good measure. This means it touches you while you shower...
Anyway we were in a dorm room with two sisters from Hull called Sarah and Carla and we went on a night out to Clarke Quay with them. It has a futuristic style to it which makes you feel like you've taken a wrong turn and ended up in St Tropez. It is full of a rich international bunch and the drinks are heavily expensive. Although we couldn't really afford to drink much we chatted to the businesmen and enjoyed being able to smoke in bars again.
Other highlights of Singapore include:
going to Sentosa, the manmade island created as a getaway from the city. We did some luging which involved going up in a cable car and then speeding down a windy hill on an unmotorised go kart (so much fun!).
Meeting up with Rob's (my brother) mate Matt who is recently married and living there with his wife. He took us for lunch which was very nice of him!
We also went to the zoo and night safari, both were fantastic. I have put up the pictures for you to see...

Oh and we found Redhill!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb