Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Commonwealth
February 16th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, we arrived in Singapore, and stayed at the Pan Pacific. It was hot and humid and exhausting. We visited Thian Temple, The Botanical Gardens, saw the Merlion, and had dinner at the Pan Pacific's signature restaurant on the 37th Floor !!

We visited Chinatown and Little India.

Changi Airport is the most amazing place with a Butterfly garden, and Koi carp and enough stuff going on to keep you occupied for ages (even for Gemini's like Grahame and I !!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Singapore Singapore
Singapore

Skyline at dusk
SingaporeSingapore
Singapore

Airport tower
Singapore MerlionSingapore Merlion
Singapore Merlion

The Merlion (simplified Chinese: 鱼尾狮; pinyin: YúwěishÄ«; Tamil: கடல்சிங்கம்) is an imaginary creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish. Its name combines "mer" meaning the sea and "lion". The fish body comes from Singapore's ancient name back when it was a fishing village — Temasek — meaning "sea town" in Javanese. The lion head represents Singapore's original name — Singapura — meaning "lion city" in Sanskrit and Malay.
Thian Hock Keng TempleThian Hock Keng Temple
Thian Hock Keng Temple

Thian Hock Keng Temple (also: Tianfu Gong Temple) (Chinese: 天福宫; Pinyin: Tiānfú Gōng; Temple of Heavenly Happiness) is the oldest and most important Fukien, or Hoklo (Hokkien) temple in Singapore. The main temple is dedicated to Matsu, the Taoist goddess of the sea and protector of all seamen, while a second temple at the back is a Buddhist one dedicated to Kuan Yin, the bodhisattva of mercy.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb