Out of Thailand


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
November 9th 2008
Published: November 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well everyone, its been a while since the boys posted a blog and they figured they better before leaving Asia, so here it goes.

After a few days in Koh Tao spent on the beach and mini-golfing, the boys decided that since they weren't diving it was time to get moving to the next island in line, Koh Phangan, home of the infamous full moon parties. Unfortunately they boys missed the full moon by a couple weeks, but luckily there was a blackmoon party (don't ask them what the significance of a black moon is, it was just an excuse to drink buckets). They even met some Swedish guys to go to the party in the back of a truck with. The next few days were spent recovering, but they did manage to meet a group of girls from Sherwood Park on their last night there. After a few questions they realized that they had a bunch of friends from home in common, small world. The next day it was only a short ferry to the largest island in the Gulf of Thailand, Koh Samui. This is also the most developed area (McDonalds and Burger King) so the boys felt at home right away. Like everywhere else in the south of Thailand there are beautiful white sand beaches and great bars everywhere, although the number of bar girls is also a lot higher. Dave and Jord couldn't walk down a road without Thai girls and Thai boys dressed as girls yelling at them that it was happy hour and to come in for a drink. Fortunately they did manage to meet some authentic Swedish girls and impress them with 'Du gamla, Du fria', so 8 years of camp did pay off. But, sadly, their time in Thailand was drawing to a close and it was time to leave (due to visa constraints, not personal ones) so the boys boarded a plane for Kuala Lumpur and continued on with the trip.

The first day in KL (what cool people call Kuala Lumpur) was spent mostly in transit, as they boys wanted to get to Singapore and try the chili stingray that Kristen was talking about. Another nightbus, another passport stamp and the boys found themselves in the shopping mecca that is Singapore. There are literally malls everywhere, and you can walk across the entire city without ever stepping outside since they are all connected. They did, however, manage to make it outside to see the famous Raffles Hotel and had a 16 dollar beer in the bar where Joseph Conrad a Somerset Maugham used to hang out. The city itself is very nice and clean, and it seems like nothing is more that 5 years old. Overpriced, but cool. That night they went to Clarke Quay, a very nice area of the city full of trendy and restaurants, including Hooters, where the boys had a wonderful supper. Today was spent walking around more malls, but they did splurge a little and saw the new James Bond movie, well worth the money. Also, the boys bought phones for Australia, so stay posted for phone numbers. Talk to you again from the land down under!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb