Green, clean and in between


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
May 20th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Upon arrival at Singapore's immigration we were diverted into a 'special screening' tent. The effects of the Swine flu are really spreading worldwide and as newcomers to Singapore we were scanned with thermal imaging to see if we had been infected!!

However once we were cleared 'virus free' up next was the drug trafficking check. Michelle breezed through without any questions but Lee was put through the mill. 'What are you're plans in Singapore' hmmmm tough question... tourism? once the official finished his questioning we were cleared and then onto the bag scanning zone!!!... apparently you can get fined for all kinds of things that are common in Blighty .. i.e J walking, dropping litter... you can tell this country LIVES BY THE RULES!!

But it's so clean. Roads are lined with litter free grassy verges, even on the outskirts of the ultra clean city. It's just so orderly!!! Bus ques are colour coded, the underground is so well run than it puts Merseyrail to shame. No one rushes, no one shouts, everyone seems to walk in a straight line and sometimes it gives the impression everyone is being remote controlled and the settings are on 'safe mode'!

Anyway back to what we did in our four days in Singapore.....well... not that much really! We strolled around the famous 'Orchard road' where you can blow a years travel budget in around 20 minutes of shopping in Burberry, Givenchy or why not try Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton or Armani! After some window shopping we headed to Little India.. read the map wrong and instead of visiting a market we ended up in a car boot sale.

Singapore was on the way to Indonesia and our flight was due to leave on Thursday that week. Singapore's airport is amazing! It has its own swimming pool, millions of shops and restaurants, free Pc's knocking about for you to use and space aged sky trains zipping between terminals. Our one and a half hour flight was late both of us felt very nervous after our last internal flight (turbulence).

We arrived in Jakarta at 5pm local time just in time for the sunset and a .....BIG CULTURE SHOCK......



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb