Tales of a Triathlete Ally: SuBIT 2009


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Subic
May 15th 2009
Published: January 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Swim leg, first loopSwim leg, first loopSwim leg, first loop

Dennis on his swim leg (first loop) at the Dungaree beach
SuBIT or Subic Bay ITU (Internation Triathlon Union) Triathlon is held every year in Subic Bay and in which athletes from different countries compete to show that a man or a woman can be faster, stronger and at the same time endure the three (3) disciplines on a standard olympic distance (1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run).

Though it was Dennis 5th year of SuBIT, he was a bit anxious on this year's two different transition areas - T1 at Dungaree Beach and T2 at Waterfront Road. With this in mind, we decided to be in Subic earlier than usual.

Arriving in Subic on a Friday would prepare Dennis early for the triathlon on Sunday. After checking in the hotel, we explored its vicinity and discovered that Angels and Demons, the movie, was being shown in a nearby theater, the Times Square. To temporarily relieve Dennis' thoughts from his upcoming race and for him to relax a little, I invited him to watch the movie.

The movie ended a bit late so we had to take out dinner for the kids and after which we went to a local fair that we found while exploring. We rode
Times Square CinemasTimes Square CinemasTimes Square Cinemas

where we watched Angels and Demons...
a short distance cable car, dart some balloons, shoot some pigs and bet on some food items. We, the allies together with the triathlete had fun that night.

Non-related triathlon and relaxing activities done before a race was said to be beneficial - one races best when relaxed. This was what Dennis did. Since Saturday was the race for sprints, Dennis and I became spectators and cheerers for this event. Jonas, a friend, was competing and it was his first triathlon race and said he felt good after the sprint race. Dennis then met with his tri group, the Sunkist Tri Hard Team late in the afternoon until dinner time.

Preparation was done a bit earlier than usual since there were two transition areas (T1 and T2). They had to bring their running paraphernalia to T2 then their bikes to T1 where the swim leg would happen. The allies arrived at the Dungaree beach to watch the start of the race event for males when the female race event was just finishing.

The racers had to do two loops for a total of 1.5 kilometer open water swim. Though it was uneventful one, the fastest racer out
At the local fairAt the local fairAt the local fair

shooting pigs (small plastic toys)..
of the water finished the swim leg in an amazing 13 minutes, wow, which was fast, really fast.

Off we went to the bike leg area (T2) where we cheered for almost everyone, giving them the boost to go on and complete the 40 kilometers of pedaling. By this time, the allies were yearning for water and breakfast, it was hot and humid. Good thing the Aresi restaurant was adjacent to the finish line where we can eat then watch Dennis do his run leg and finish the race.

Dennis clocked in 2 hours and 7 minutes and by this time we were in hurry to leave for Boracay for my traditional birthday vacation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Start of the raceStart of the race
Start of the race

Photo op with BJ Manalo
Fastest at the swim legFastest at the swim leg
Fastest at the swim leg

Coach Guy Concepcion, first who finished the swim leg...next the bike leg..
Sec. Nonoy AndayaSec. Nonoy Andaya
Sec. Nonoy Andaya

First to finish swim leg from Sunkit Tri-hard team
Dennis, end of swim legDennis, end of swim leg
Dennis, end of swim leg

Finishing his swim leg...on to the bike leg..
A bikerA biker
A biker

Bike leg..
Teacher Anne ArellanoTeacher Anne Arellano
Teacher Anne Arellano

on her bike leg..
The bike legThe bike leg
The bike leg

Den forgot to connect the drink tube valve from his hydration bag..yikes! He was so thirsty at this time..
Ms. Tessa Prieto ValdezMs. Tessa Prieto Valdez
Ms. Tessa Prieto Valdez

on her run leg..enjoying triathlon..
Dennis, run legDennis, run leg
Dennis, run leg

still enduring triathlon...
The FinishThe Finish
The Finish

Aaaahhhh...
Allies Ety and RockyAllies Ety and Rocky
Allies Ety and Rocky

...Ety wearing a Sunkist shirt..
Getting ready for BoracayGetting ready for Boracay
Getting ready for Boracay

Boracay here we go!! After Subic, we flew to Boracay for my traditional summer birthday vacation...


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb