Weekend Getaway: Lost in Subic (Tree Top Adventure)


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Subic
February 21st 2009
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our BreakfastOur BreakfastOur Breakfast

Man, I still don't like cheese. Good thing Janet likes it.
There were 9 people supposedly coming with us for this trip, then one by one everyone was backing out until there was just Janet and I as the last ones standing.

The expected one and a half bus ride from Cubao (Metro Manila) to Olongapo City took us three hours; someone probably miscalculated (ehem!). Olongapo City is quite organized, less dirty and well managed compared to Manila. Adjacent to the City was our main destination, The Tree Top Adventure which was located at the Subic Bay Freeport Zone (where until 1992 was once the largest United States naval base in Asia).

We did not exactly know how to get to there, so I have previously asked for directions from a Tree Top employee. The direction given was to take the Victory Liner bus from Metro Manila to Olongapo City, then from the Olongapo City bus terminal, we are to take the yellow jeepney to Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) Main Gate(they have color coded jeepneys, this should be easy), and then go through the Main Gate to Park & Shop. I was told that if we were going to take the Taxi, we’d tell the driver to take us to Jest Camp, and if we take the bus, we’d tell the driver drop us off at CUBI/Airport. We wanted the cheaper ride so we took the bus. Off we go to CUBI and got off at the Airport. Taddaaaan! We were lost! Apparently, whichever type of transportation you take, you have to tell the driver to drop you off at Jest Camp. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, it’s best to take the taxi. The Tree Top Adventure Park is located right next to Jest Camp. So we took another bus back to where we came from, but the driver told us that they won’t be going inside the camp and that he can only drop us off at the corner of the street which would lead us to the it. So we hiked uphill under 30+ degrees Celsius heat and we didn’t had any idea how far it was going to be. We probably were on our best mood as we were amused, laughing and was even enjoying the whole situation. Although I won’t recommend doing the same unless you’re in a group, or maybe you can, at least have one companion with you … err … fine, I think I’m just paranoid.

We were walking on a concrete road - the way up was really quiet, cars would pass by from time to time, thick forest on the side and if anything bad happens, no one will probably hear your screams. It was just me and Janet and we loved this hiking part. It was bright and sunny, away from the hustle and bustle, pollution, and noise of the city. After thirty minutes of hiking, we finally reached our destination! Great warm up eh?! Everyone in Tree Top greeted us with a smile; the staffs were all warm and friendly.

We did all four activities they were offering - canopy ride, tree-drop, superman experience, and trekking. You can see more information from their website, their activity packages and how long each activity takes; the link is at the bottom of this note. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I’m going to promote it. But if you’re afraid of heights, this is not for you. I did some good screaming and was shaking after the tree-drop; imagine being dropped from a 60 ft. tree, it will only take seconds. The “falling” feeling is something
Olongapo CityOlongapo CityOlongapo City

The yellow jeepneys
I so hate that’s why I can’t bungee jump, I’m afraid that my brain might tell my heart to stop beating once I jump off. So far, the tree-drop wasn’t sooo bad, it was just bad; mind over matter, I survived. The highest point in the canopy ride was 80 - 100 ft., and the "superman" zip line experience was awesome! I can do it over and over. We hiked around the forest for the trekking adventure and we were educated at the same time. It was more like jungle survival 101. It was fun and it was so worth it. It took us at least four hours to do all 4 activities.

I Guess half of the reason why we enjoyed it so much was because of the very friendly staff.

Check it out if you’re interested and have fun!

Tree Top Adventure
Subic Bay, Zambales Philippines


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

This used to be an American baseThis used to be an American base
This used to be an American base

Some of those buildings are now made into dorms.
There it is!There it is!
There it is!

Tree Top Adventure ~ this is where the adventure goers take a break. Nice area.
TrekkingTrekking
Trekking

Kuya Homer teaching us how to create fire using bamboos
Go Kart Racing @ SBMAGo Kart Racing @ SBMA
Go Kart Racing @ SBMA

wish we had time to do this so I can show everybody my driving prowess! LOLS


26th October 2009

olongapo
tree top adventure park is a great place..in fact i even chose it to be my report...
10th May 2010

how much are the fares?
can i just ask how much is the bus from manila to olongapo? the yellow jeepneys to SMBA main gate? and the bus to jest camp? thanks.
23rd May 2010

hey
Hi jaja! there's no email address so i hope you find your way back here again.hehe. the bus from Manila to Olongapo is about 200 pesos. Jeep to the SMBA gate should not be more than 20 pesos. and the bus from SBMA to Tree Top shouldn't be more than 100 pesos BUT, you should ask first if the bus is going up to the Adventure Park, else take a taxi (I'm not sure how much the taxi fare is).
13th August 2010

Zoom Tree Top Adventure in Ortigas
Hi, speaking of Tree Top you might want to check this link for a tree top adventure in ortigas. Zoom Treetop Adventure in Ortigas
31st March 2011

Hi!
How about the transportation from TreeTop back to Main Gate? What did you ride? :D I really want to get back home alive! XD

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb