And the beach goes on...


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Siquijor
January 25th 2008
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

'Banka Boat''Banka Boat''Banka Boat'

Local kids arriving to the 'Santo Nino' Festival
First off… Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments from our first BLOG… while we are loving our time in the Philippines updates from home are always great!!!

Currently we are on a small island called Siquijor (See-Key-Hor). It is a very beautiful island and we are staying at a lovely little place called Coral Cay Resort and we are loving the beautiful weather and our scooter (Red Lightening). A couple interesting things we have come to discover about the Philippines are:

#1- Everyone speaks English to some degree, all the signage is in English and so is TV (not that we have seen much of it!!!). Communicating and getting around is super easy... a luxury we do not take for granted when traveling...

#2- There are very few westerners in the Philippines so the local people treat you like celebrities... when we go cruising on our scooter kids scream, wave and run after us and even adults stare at us in disbelief and interest!!! I have said to Dan numerous times that I think they are so intrigued by us because they are in shock at how white my skin is... ha,ha,ha!!!

#3- The varying degrees of wealth of the local people is staggering... some people have large 4-5 bedroom "western style" homes that are gated with manicured laws satellite TV, gas stoves, glass windows and SUV's in the front yard... the full meal deal. Others on the other hand live in small nippa huts made of bamboo and palm leaves... no running water, open air windows, no furniture, only an open fire to cook on and no power what so ever... the shocking thing is a huge big home will be right beside a small village of nippa huts. Regardless of their living situation we have found all the Pilipino people to be very gracious and helpful... the vibe however is much different then Thailand as the Pilipino people are very Catholic (the Spanish influence) as opposed to Buddhism which is predominant in Thailand.

#4- The cuisine is odd, good… but odd. There is not one specific style of cuisine that is "Pilipino"... it's like they borrow cooking styles from Spain, Thailand, Malaysia, North America and even Italy... never the less the mangos are to absolutely DIE for and we are definitely NOT going hungry. PS- Because of the Spanish influence wine is readily available in larger cities which is a big upside for us wine loving kids however, my bag is grossly over weight after every major port city we pass through!!!

#5- Pilipino people are obsessed with AKON and Sean Kingston… everywhere we go their songs play in supermarkets, videoke bars, open air markets, taxi cabs and local radio… it’s like our ongoing theme song… absolutely hilarious!!!

Anyways... that's a little insight into what we have been experiencing in terms of the Pilipino culture. We will stay in Siquijor for a few more days then make our way to the large island of Negros. The boat trips between islands have been an adventure... varying from small 'banka boats' (pump boats) that seat 4 people, to slow ferries that chug along at a snails pace and put out more diesel fumes then one cares to image to Super Fast Cat catamarans... which in my opinion are way too fast and a completely WILD ride but Dan loves it... of course!!! BC Ferries ain’t looking so bad anymore!!! Needless to say thank god us Westcoast kids do not get sea sick (knock on wood!!!).

And so the beach goes on… our
Chocolate HillsChocolate HillsChocolate Hills

Natural phenomenon of over 1200 'bumps' on Bohol Island
love to everyone…

Until next time…



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tarsier Tarsier
Tarsier

Small monkey on Bohol Island... they fit in the palm of your hand!!!
San Pedro ChurchSan Pedro Church
San Pedro Church

Church on Bohol Island Built in 1772... you can thank the Spanish for this one.
Coral Cay ResortCoral Cay Resort
Coral Cay Resort

Siquijor (See- Key- Hor) Island... the stud in the hamock is Dan (he asked me to type that!!!)
Sunscreen anyone?Sunscreen anyone?
Sunscreen anyone?

No comment!!!


25th January 2008

seek eee hor
that tiny monkey is super creepy looking! and now i think i know where the inspiration for the chocolate hills on mario kart came from. I'm in Phoenix AZ at the mo enjoying the SUNSHINEEEE, been working, going to shoot a machine gun tomorrow before i fly out. Random. miss you guys!!! xo k
25th January 2008

my eyes grow greener....
Hi there both of you! Sounds like your having the time of your life. I love the Sean Kingston comment. It was the same for us in Thailand where everywhere we went the song 'The reason' by Hoobastank was playing. It really did become our theme song. lol.. The chocolate hills look absolutley breathe taking and I can't even imagine how beautiful they are in real life. Right now I'm sitting in my office.. working hard! lol.. looking out my window at 4 feet of snow and -10 weather. yuck! Threw that comment in to make you feel even luckier. ;) Continue having a blast, cherish every second.. Peace out and wurd to your mom.. Ash xoxo
25th January 2008

More beaches...
There are 7000 more islands to discover. Glad you guys are enjoying the country. And yeah, those mangoes are to die for! Mango shake in the morning, mango crepe for dessert! And that's what traveling is all about - learning. Great blog!
26th January 2008

Sean Kingston is god in C.A
Hey guys...glad you update your blog unlike me who is now too lazy to do anything. I know what you mean about Sean Kingston. If I hear that ´suicidal´song again it´ll be too soon.
27th January 2008

Nice!
Wow! It sounds like you two are having an amazing time!! Thanks for the updates and all the pics...not to make you jealous or anything but it's nice and cold here, snowed a bit last night...don't you wish you were here? hehe

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb