My 2014 Visayas Travel


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Samar
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

NIGHT BEFORE: Here it comes. Now is the time I have been waiting for since my plane landed back from vacation abroad on the night of the 8th of November 2013 during the landfall in the Philippines of typhoon Haiyan or Yolanda as its local name. I never knew the havoc Yolanda brought while we were just celebrating the 90th birthday of a great aunt on November 9. I just realized how much devastation happened when I saw it in the late afternoon news on national TV.

This is the one that I have been aiming to do. Aside from giving a helping hand during the time of the Tacloban tragedy - that after a while check on the calamity victims, know their present state and what they are still in need of. In short, a follow-up, not just helping during the emotional heights of the tragedy.

Five days prior to this trip I just came from Malapascua, one of the islands in Cebu that was also badly hit by Haiyan. As we unboard the boat, we were welcomed by some houses that were still roofless but bit by bit the island has been recovering largely through the efforts of the non-government organizations.

Cebu was also one of the places in Visayas badly hit by typhoon Haiyan. And now the towns affected are recovering one step at a time in their own little way. A big credit should be given to the NGOs who have been a constant support until our fellow Filipinos fully recovered from the unexpected devastation Haiyan brought.

Tacloban had been hit worst by the storm and it needs extra effort to fully recover. And I do not know what to expect once the plane landed in Tacloban. My heart is prepared to get wrench but I do not want to think that the city has not improve that much yet.

DAY 1 (June 22): We landed 18 minutes ahead of time via Air Asia bus at the small airport of Tacloban City. We unboarded to a clean and clear runway but the baggage rotator was still not working. The porters manually lined-up the bags on top of it. A rented van fetched our group all set for the medical and dental mission. A small church near the coastal community of Tacloban prepared a packed breakfast for us. On the way there we passed by four ship boats that were brought by the Haiyan to the shore and probably would not be removed at all to remember the tragedy that was and it is not easy and cheap to pull out the ship. While eating they talked about the church building recovery that was a house lent by one of their members in the United States. A group of kids gathered on a long chair enjoying their meal together. With the American missionary's story, we learned that some of the kids were orphans, losing their family from the great flood Haiyan brought. Inquiring with one of the kids, how she managed to survive, she replied, "Tumakbo sa bukid." ("I ran to the fields away from the raging sea.")

From Tacloban, we drove going to Samar, the medical mission's main agenda. First, entering the eastern part. The three vans packed with doctors and volunteers convoyed for more than four hours to get to our first stop - Guiuan (giwan).It was already past lunch when we arrived and we still have to find a place to sleep for more than 40 volunteers. So technically the day was just for traveling and settling things and acquainting with half of the volunteers we just met coming from the Philippines and the United States.

DAY 2 (June 23): First day of the mission. People have been lining up an hour ahead of the set time. Tables were ready and more than 50 volunteers ate a hearty breakfast buffet courtesy of volunteer sponsors native to Guiuan to start out the day that would be a very fulfilling week for everyone. On that day, 450 people have been served as we packed up by past three o' clock in the afternoon. Lunch and am and pm snacks came from the local government as their token to the volunteers. Right after packing we have a merienda cena because we would be traveling for four hours to our next stop - Borongan - the provincial capital of the Eastern Samar province.

On the road, we can still see the remaining damage by Haiyan. In Guiuan, the presence of the United Nations and Geneve were there as they aid in the reconstruction of the province. And several more international aids were around the region like AusAid and USAid overseeing the reconstruction of roads and lives of our fellow Filipinos.

We settled in Lalawigan, Borongan housed in three neighboring guest house hotels. I went to the backyard of the house we would be staying in for several days. I heard the sound of the rolling ocean waves. I shrieked. I was overwhelmed with joy that Lalawigan is situated near the beach side of the Pacific Ocean. During the killer typhoon no casualties were reported in Borongan but residents beside the bay have been affected by waves of water bringing logs of woods and thick sands flooding their homes destroying mostly furnitures and appliances.

DAY 3 (June 24): We have a series of three medical mission scheduled in Lalawigan. Our first one today - Divinobo Island. Our coordinator in Lalawigan, the U-Turn for Christ Church, served spiritual and physical breakfast to start the laborious day. We loaded two boats going to the island which took us more than 30 minutes to reach because it was already late morning and low tide had set in. But if it wasn't, the usual boat trip accordingly just takes 10-15 minutes.

In Divinobo, 350 locals have been served, mostly old folks with high blood pressure and eye problems. During the late afternoon after savoring fresh coconuts, rain fell and we have to wait for it to at least drizzle down. But I cannot wait. It was hot and my headache was starting to set in so I decided to cool off under the rain. Well, the rain didn't stop and after a long wait, half of the group decided to be drenched with rain holding a tarp to cover other people carrying medical baggage. When every boxes have been gathered doing two trips back and forth from the medical site, the rain already stopped. I was already wet and decided to dip in the sea which was warm compared to the cold afternoon rain. Upon going back to the town and to our guest houses, I decided to continue my ocean adventure and others also decided to splash in and ride the waves of the Pacific Ocean - very refreshing and a great stress-reliever.

DAY 4 (June 25): Today, we would be reaching out to the Lalawigan town. Our site today was in a covered basketball court. It was hot and humid and no wind circulated around. There were lots of people from different barangays and some group came from another island that I cannot remember. All I can remember that time was where these people lined up. We have to implement the first come, first serve basis but special assistance have been given to the very old ones. Mostly medicines prescribed were vitamins for the kids and adults, colds and cough and stomach pains. Total of 551 people have been served by the mission on this very day.

It was my aunt's 55th birthday and our group decided to pass up the dinner in U-Turn and cooked pansit and sinigang and grilled some fresh fish. The gracious owner of Oceanside Bed and Breakfast where we were staying let us took over her kitchen that night. After swimming from the ocean, everybody had a superb overflowing dinner that we have to bring the excess food to the medical mission the next day including Borongan's delicious cake.

DAY 5 (June 26): I was waiting for the sun to pass through the window of our room because it means it was already past five in the morning and I have to rise and prepare for the early company call at U-Turn. No sun went up. I just heard the sound of the other volunteers outside the room and went out. It was raining. After our breakfast in U-Turn, jump-packed vehicles and jeeps with some Americans hanging at the barrass traveled with the rain for almost an hour going to one of the places badly affected by Haiyan - Hernani (ernani).

The rain already stopped when we arrived at the damaged basketball covered court and municipal building. When typhoon Haiyan landed, a lot of people ran to the municipal building seeking solace. They believed that the concrete building was strong enough to withstand Haiyan but it was located beside the bay. Strong wind with loud splash of water hit the building which broke down the walls and the roof of the basketball court. U-Turn oriented the American and Manila volunteers and went around the barangay to see the havoc.

We used the municipal ground and building for the medical mission. The tent base of the United Nation was standing there and we borrowed it to be used by the evangelical section and optometrists. People there were very cooperative lining up and some helped us to explain the procedure to other folks. Again there were lots of very old people who needs medication especially for high blood pressure. They have a good community clinic and pharmacy with lots of medicine but the problem was they don't have the meds for the high blood anymore and they do not know when the supply from the government would come.

Everyone was tired with the mission serving around 300 people and traveled back to Lalawigan with a very light heart. U-Turn prepared a dinner fellowship for the group's last night at Borongan. After some singing and testimony, we bid farewell to pack our things and rest.

DAY 6 (June 27): Early next morning we piled up in the three vans going to Calbayog, Western Samar. Four hours drive without full breakfast going through the mountain's swirling roads, we stopped by Catbalogan to eat breakfast and buy some 'pasalubongs' (give-aways) at Charito's Delicacies. Then from there, prior to going to Calbayog, we pass through first to Carayman, to the daughter church of Miravilla Christian Fellowship (in Riverside, California) because they prepared lunch for the group. In Calbayog, the group have been divided to those who were assigned in the sponsors's houses and those who have to stay in the hotel. Nine of us including my cousins and mother were assigned to stay in the old house of the primary sponsor located within the town proper where we can easily access the markets, restaurants and coffeeshops and banks. The rooms were comfortably large enough for us to share and coffee and tea were left on the dining table if we like to have one and they gave me access to the wi-fi courtesy of the foundation office downstairs. It was homy better than the hotel.

DAY 7 (June 28): This was our last day of medical mission. Miravilla Christian Fellowship in Carayman probably was the most comfortable place because there was an existing set up already of the medical mission . The people here have been served twice already and was very much aware of the yearly medical mission. And this third one, since it fell on a Saturday, parents together with their children filled the church building. We have Debbie from the United States who came with her father and sister. She volunteered to entertain the restless children with her animal-shaped balloons and face-painting. (In the Lalawigan town mission three days ago, she wore a violet doll costume to add more fun.) It was a hot, humid and busy day for everyone as the count have been 650 people were served, children mostly. Yes it was the most comfortable place and the most number of people served by the mission.

DAY 8 (June 29): It was the Miravilla Christian Fellowship daughter church in Carayman's 1st anniversary. The people from California have prepared some give aways like goods for the families and backpacks and toys for the children. We thought it was the end of the medical mission but nay. Several mothers still approached the team after the church service asking for vitamins for their kids. We have no more at hand and looking at their malnourished kids, we have to ask the mothers what they have been feeding them. They have to be reminded that they have the means to feed their kids with nutritious foods with the plants and vegetables they have in their backyard. Then, our attention diverted to a six-month old baby who looked-like several weeks-old baby that have been incubated. The findings of the five doctors, the baby was dehydrated and undernourished. The mother have no breastmilk and have been feeding the baby with children's powdered milk called Bear Brand. And she already have eight other children aside from the baby. When asked if she plans to have another, she just smiled at us. To make sure the baby would be well-nourished, the team decided not to give the mother any money, instead, she was referred to the foundation the mission was connected to. But still she asked for some tricycle fare to reach the foundation. One of the doctors gave from his own pocket and another volunteer gave an additional hundred peso bill just to make sure she would show up the next day.

We went to the beach afterwards to have our late lunch prepared by one of the dentist-volunteer celebrating her birthday early with us. Still one of our topic conversation was the impoverished baby. The doctors said that if the baby wouldn't be nourished for the coming weeks the possibility of death was not far away. One doctor thinking out loud, have a distaste for mothers who keep on conceiving without thinking the future of how to feed and give the basic needs of the children. Fueled-up by the sumptous seafoods and lechon, we rode the boat to cross the nearby small island and marched around its spiky stony edge. After dinner back in the city, we opt to went out for some more chit chats. A lot of things have been discussed and laughed about bidding farewell late in the night.

DAY 9 (June 30): The volunteer and doctors left at dawn to travel back to Tacloban and flew to Manila. Relatives and some friends have been left behind to relax the day-off after the exhausting mission traveling from one place to another for hours for several days, sleeping without the comforts of our own home. I walked around Calbayog to observe the small city. It wasn't hit by the roaring Haiyan because it was at the other end of the Visayas but still there were a lot of indigents piling at the waiting area of the foundation. It was frustrating to see that there are many foundations that have been helping the Filipino citizens but the national government and the politicians who run the country doesn't have enough heart and will-power to put their mechanism together to lead their people in nourishing the Philippines primary resource - agriculture - with the complete education in enriching the land and marketing their products.

Nutritionist volunteer Roselle before flying back to Manila accompanied by nurse Myra arrived at nine o' clock in the morning at the foundation to check and compute the baby's nutritional needs. Well, the mother brought the baby in a much better look and she just have to visit the foundation to get the baby's milk and vitamins supply every now and then.

DAY 10 (July 1): At the Tacloban airport, flights have been delayed and passengers were made to wait outside the airport away from the comfort of seats and airconditioning. Good thing outside was somehow cool due to the rain that just has stopped. After allowing passengers to pass through the baggage x-rays, another long queu piled up. Cebu Pacific's check-in table were empty. The guard said the staff were out eating because the flight was delayed. Passengers have been irritated already and the airline staff arrived after almost an hour hurrying up in weighing the baggage.

Earlier that morning, as our vehicle roll off from Calbayog to Tacloban under the heavy rain, I slumbered half through it dizzy and still exhausted from the medical mission. As I contemplate, it was a blessing that I was able to join it. It was an eye-opener, a life-enriching education. It was a dizzying travel worth going around through the zigzag road of Samar with half good, half rough roads. After all it was a good godly deed reaching out to the marginal people of Samar. I more appreciate and realized just how lucky we are. Let us be livelier as we blessed others with our helping hand and loving heart. Great be to God that we are blessed whether we deserve the material things or not. I was thankful for the outside help from foreigners and fellow Filipinos Leyte and Samar have been receiving. The USS Mercy, a big modern hospital ship, was still present and would still be there for more than 60 days in Tacloban. As I remember AusAid signs, Geneve, USAid, UN who were physically present in Samar doing their stuff just asking moral support from the local government to make sure that the donations and aids would be used correctly and in the most effective way possible.

Landing in Manila, the moment I got hold of my other phone I forgot in Cavite, I know it was back to work. E-mail had been sent and I have to finish my assignment so we can line up our taping schedule. Then I got dizzy again, not from the mission, but from the grueling hours I have to wrestle with the EDSA traffic just to get to Quezon City from the airport.

AT WORK (October): We flew in on a weekend to shoot GMA-7's Season's of Love series. It was a privilege to see Bohol again a year after the earthquake shook the province and damaged its old churches and the chocolate hills park. Tourism had been a great help in the Bohol's economy to finance the rebuilding of roads and infrastructure and an additional income generator for the family of the Boholanons. This was my third time in Bohol and I realized how much I have missed its beach. Leaving Bohol, tired from work, I was happy and satisfied to see that it has been recovering from its own tragedy.

The following week we traveled going to Bicol for another Season's of Love shoot, this time in Legazpi, where the moody but grandiose Mayon Volcano is. The volcano cooperated when we were there and did not show any of its angst. Bicolanons diligence and resourcefulness have been seen in its paved roads, lush agriculture and peaceful surroundings despite the unpredictable eruption of Mayon. The people living around its kilometer-radius danger zone also proved it by helping to build their own shelter at the evacuation area making their indefinite stay more comfortable.

I have visited four different places in Visayas that faced three different natural calamities. In all these, the natives from each province showed resiliency, the one trait that bind us Filipinos. We have varied approach in coping up with adversity but we are still smiling in the midst of it, prepared to rise up again, holding on to our faith that God will take care of everything.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb