CAGAYAN DE ORO'S OWN SINULOG FESTIVAL


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindanao » Misamis Oriental » Cagayan De Oro
January 17th 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Spent most of the night listening to the continuous rain and jst had it i need to get out of Prosperidad. Next morning still raining I left the town promising to come back when the weather is fine. Took a Bachelors bus out from a simple bus terminal next to the main road, it goes to Butuan then i connected to Cagayan de Oro. It is still raining but started to ease up as we approach Cagayan and was relieved to finally see bits of sun as i find a taxi in the chaotic bus terminal. I was dropped off at Wilshire Hotel the cheapest room is 450 with tv and a/c. There is a musty smell in the room, turned the a/c right away. I asked for info from the front desk about travels to Camiguin, they have none, not to anywhere in Cagayan de Oro, very frustrating, I set out to find the tourist office which I found still open luckily, they were very helpful and I was able to get the latest ferry schedule to Camiguin.

That night I checked out the main drag, there are eateries set up around the friendship park and it's crowded and busy, CdeO as I will call it for short has nothing really attractive to see, good it comes alive at night, I found a massage place per hour is 180 pesos, roughly $4! Then had my dinner from one of the stalls in the park, bought some fresh fruits and headed back to the hotel to rest. next morning I checked out and moved to Parkview Hotel, they seem more friendly and they are just right in the main drag near the Cagayan river. In the afternoon there is a parade, a procession celebrating the festivities of Sinulog, in honor of the Child Jesus, people with their idols parading and dancing, quite fun to watch. The images are dressed in different outfits, a soldier, a navy officer, a soccer player !! The people are very devout Catholics and you can see the seriousness in their faces, simple people with strong beliefs in their saints, they earn my respect.

Initao-Libertad protected Area is halfway between Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, to get there you may take a bus going this route either way and ask to be let off there, it's right next to the main road, catch a frequent bus back at the entrance, 10 pesos entrance fee which may actually go to the caretakers pocket as he does not issue receipt. Beautiful park with Centennial trees( more than 100 years old life span) and other types, lush and green right next to the rugged coastline, several caves can be explored bring torch, be careful some have snakes! Paths are paved, there is a picnic area, good to spend the afternoon watching the sun set, bring your camera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cagayan de OroCagayan de Oro
Cagayan de Oro

weekend tennis


Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.1955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb