1st entry


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Metromanila
July 5th 2007
Published: July 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Life here in Manila sure is different from the states. For one, the humidity is about 80-90% and the temp ranges from 75 at night to 95 during the day. With these temps and humidity, there is no way you can NOT sweat all the time. Another difference is the traffic. In Metromanila there are lines on the road and some street lights, but no one seems to follow them. On the way to the office yesterday, for instance, I saw a family of 5 on a motorbike meant for 1. there were 2 kids in front, then dad, another kid, and then mom. To make matters worse they were traveling about 35-45 mph going THE WRONG WAY IN TRAFFIC!!! As a pedestrian it definately behooves you to have excelent reflexes as crossing the street is a bit like frogger.
The food here is incredible. Even the bread store has amazing creations that are so decadent, and sweet it's like a dessert.
All of the people are very nice also, but I still haven't decided if it's because we're dumb americans with money or if they're really always that helpful and courteous 😊 For instance, I went to the supermarket tonite and the bagger unloaded our cart for us, I haven't opened a door since I left the airport, and I keep waiting for someone to show up in the bathroom and try to help 😊 one thing I have noticed is that this is a very grateful country. For many years it was under American Military control, so now that it's really their country the locals are investing an incredible amount of time and energy redesigning their cities, and it it well worth it!
That's all I have time for right now, but I'll try to update with pics this weekend!

Advertisement



5th July 2007

Hooray!
Way to go Justin! I hope you had a very uneventful trip there. Thanks for the blog. I look forward to reading about your trip. Have fun!! Ramon
6th July 2007

filipino hospitality
in general, you're experiencing the hospitality of the pinoys. you'll find this to be true anywhere you go. from the big city to the rural barrios. not to say that there aren't bad apples; i think you'll know if you're being had. as for the food, yes indeed. delicious!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb