Fuerza de Santiago (Fort Santiago) and Rizal Shrine


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
July 27th 2013
Published: July 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

"A Fort. A Prison dungeon. A History"






My heart thumped as I entered to the 2,030 feet 16th century military defense structure...What thrills me most is the history behind every corners of the fort. It was first built by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, a Spanish conquistador. During the Spanish Colonial Period and World War 2, it served as a fort, a mighty fortress and a prison. As of today, it is reconstructed and preserved and is one of the most famous historical landmarks in the country.

One of the highlights of the fort is the Rizal Shrine. Jose Rizal, Philippines' national hero, was imprisoned here and has spent his last night before he marched out to face his death, his execution in Luneta. His sculptures, his manuscripts and books, his clothes and all other various memorabilia are well preserved and are beautifully displayed in the shrine.

As I followed the marks of his footsteps from the fort to the place where he will be executed, my heart ached as I noticed his struggle to walk despite the rope bounding his feet. I hope his heroism and his love for his country will forever be remembered not only by the Filipinos, but to every citizen in the world who loves his country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb