Day Trips North of Manila (Part 2)


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
November 8th 2011
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

A Collector's DreamA Collector's DreamA Collector's Dream

Somewhere in Bagac, Bataan lies this collection of re-assembled ancestral and heritage houses. The project invited controversy. Some think the heirloom houses should stay "in situs" while others think they are better preserved here in this collector's village.
Many tourists skip Manila. For this reason, I blogged about a few things to do when in Manila. You may wish to check this earlier blog and simply click on the photos to read another blog with more details. (Some Photographs From Manila) I even went as far as dedicating one whole category under the title"Don't Skip Manila" to prove my point.

While planning for that trip up North (there's Batanes, Banaue, Ilocos to name a few) or down south for some sun, sand and nature (there's Boracay, Palawan, Cebu, Bohol, Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Siargao in Surigao, Siquihor and Negros off a long list) , a visitor's typical dilemna is what to do in Manila if "forced" to stay a night or two.




If you don't want the city and long for nature or culture, here are some one day itineraries for you. My earlier blog includes a list of day trips SOUTH of Manila. This one lists those you can visit NORTH of Manila. You can always leave early then head back to Manila for some nightlife and still catch that early morning flight the next day.









One Day Itinerary #1: Bataan's Ciudad Acuzar

Zoofari, anyone?Zoofari, anyone?Zoofari, anyone?

There is the Zoobic Safari and the Zoo. There is also the Ocean Adventure. Take your pick. Or you may do both in a single day. Plus some skywalking?




It isn't all volcanoes. There is also this collector's "heritage town" where old, ancestral houses from all around the country were dismantled and reassembled in this otherwise obscure town in Bataan. Not many Filipinos have even visited nor heard of this "collection". But you may want a glimpse of our past so check out my blog on this "collector's village" here .










One Day Itinerary #2: Your Kids May Like Subic





My "elves" liked it here. Swim with dolphins, skywalk, hit the beach, meet the tigers, etc. You may have to choose among all these activities if you only have a day. Read my blog : Subic's Dolphins, Tigers, Monkeys and More










One Day Itinerary #3: A MOMA , Just in the Suburbs





Not exactly north of Manila. More like EAST of Manila.





If you want to check out contemporary art, there is this Pinto Art Museum in the suburbs. To be exact, this is in Antipolo. Not easy to find, as it is a private collection. But def worth a visit. Taxis are cheap here, but be sure to have the
Seriously, a Museum In The SuburbsSeriously, a Museum In The SuburbsSeriously, a Museum In The Suburbs

It is a private collection of Dr. Cuanang. Yes, the same doctor who owns Sitio Remedios up North. The Museum and Gardens are worth a visit. Hail a cab and go!
meter running or at best, negotiate a flat fee of P500 max (about US$12). Or take the MRT up to Ortigas Center and grab a taxi cab from there. Your taxi fare should be lots cheaper. Maybe half that.




But if you were able to hire a car or taxi for the day to drive you all the way to Pinto Art Museum, it will do well to max out the rental to drop by more local museums in the next couple of towns in Angono, Rizal. Many local painters hail from Angono and a few of them were enterprising enough to set up restaurants and art galleries.






One Day Itinerary #4: Trek to Mount Pinatubo?





I have been lining up to join the trek to Mount Pinatubo, but each time the rains would prevent us from pursuing the 2.5 hour trek. There is a tour group which runs this volcano trek, and they must be growing tired refunding us our payments for the cancelled treks.





Just to give you an idea.......the tour meets very very early in the morning. Like 3:30 am. Off
Razon's Palabok and Halo HaloRazon's Palabok and Halo HaloRazon's Palabok and Halo Halo

Palabok is a local noodle dish, quite unlike its Chinese equivalent. Halo Halo is a summer favorite with tropical fruits served with ice shavings soaked in milk.
to Capas, Tarlac north of Manila in time to join the early morning trek to the famous volcano. You should be done and ready for a mud spa by noontime. Then head back to Manila for that nightlife!




An update: I finally made the trip to Mount Pinatubo. Just click on this link (Cheating My (Sky) Way to Mount Pinatubo) for more photos and details.



<table class="xinfo" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; border-collapse: collapse; border-spacing: 0px; width: 250px; color:󙀸 font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469); -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%!;(MISSING)">

One Day Itinerary #5: Pampanga, the Culinary Capital of the Philippines




It is said that when the Spaniards came, the royal Muslim family ruling Manila were expelled and settled in the province of Pampanga. With their kitchen staff in tow, the royal household continued to churn out gastronomic delights for the ex-royalties. Another version is that
Another version of Pancit PalabokAnother version of Pancit PalabokAnother version of Pancit Palabok

Garnished with boiled eggs and pork cracklings, this noodle dish is a local favorite everywhere!
the Spanish friars who supervised the building of lovely 16th - 17th century churches here brought their own artisans and cooks who then passed on their skills to the locals. For sure, those churches and local cuisine survived wars .... And even the Mount Pinatubo eruption and lahar flows.




A number of local chefs set up dining places here, but most require reservation. The meals don't come cheap too, but the food quality and excellent service make it an experience to remember. Pampanga gave birth to many local dishes like sisig, which has since churned out many versions in Manila's many restaurants. Exotic dishes like fried crickets and deep-fried frogs find their way to the dining table in this part of the country. Eating these exotic dishes would be an adventure by itself. But don't get me wrong. It's not all about food here in Pampanga. For sure, a culinary trip should be coupled with visits to Betis Church in Guagua and the lahar-buried San Guillermo Church in lahar-affected Bacolor, Pampanga.

Will add more, as I find the chance, or log in more out of town trips. Meanwhile, you may care to follow me on Facebook for more tips. Mabuhay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Old Houses in Bagac, BataanOld Houses in Bagac, Bataan
Old Houses in Bagac, Bataan

Las Casas Filipinas in Bataan re-assembled many ancestral houses from different parts of the country to comprise this collection.
Silangan GardensSilangan Gardens
Silangan Gardens

Just in the suburbs.....
Typical Filipino Games.... In BronzeTypical Filipino Games.... In Bronze
Typical Filipino Games.... In Bronze

Immortalized children's game. Right here in Ciudad Acuzar, now called Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
Pinto Art GalleryPinto Art Gallery
Pinto Art Gallery

Thats a painting of Dr. cuanang himself, owner of Pinto Art Gallery.
subic's Ocean Adventuresubic's Ocean Adventure
subic's Ocean Adventure

Kids would love it here!
Mount PinatuboMount Pinatubo
Mount Pinatubo

More than 20 years after its disastrous eruption, Mount Pinatubo is now a favorite day trip for adventure seekers. Just pray it doesn't rain!
Zoobic SafariZoobic Safari
Zoobic Safari

Only for brave girls and boys......
Palo Sebo  or "Greased Pole"Palo Sebo  or "Greased Pole"
Palo Sebo or "Greased Pole"

This game's winner is the first one to climb this greasy pole and reach the top.
Quite a CollectionQuite a Collection
Quite a Collection

Be sure to click on my link on Ciudad Acuzar for more photos and details on this collector's village.
Lunch is here!Lunch is here!
Lunch is here!

Apag Marangle serves only "Kapampangan dishes".
Exotic food from PampangaExotic food from Pampanga
Exotic food from Pampanga

And that includes barbecued frogs, fried crickets and steamed veggies with fermented rice siding.
Can you guess? Can you guess?
Can you guess?

Right. It's a frog!
Interior Shot of Betis ChurchInterior Shot of Betis Church
Interior Shot of Betis Church

Famous church in Pampanga for its ceiling frescoes.
Nearly buried in lahar! Nearly buried in lahar!
Nearly buried in lahar!

The Mt. Pinatubo eruption happened in 1991. The lahar flow which nearly buried this church was in 1995.
Inside San Guillermo ChurchInside San Guillermo Church
Inside San Guillermo Church

Many of the religious items of the church were saved from the lahar flow. Thank God!


15th June 2012

Missed and missing ...
Some places I've missed to see, the ones I've seen then are now being missed ..... great travel blogs!
15th June 2012

Hello, my friend!
Happy to hear fom you, Way!
15th June 2012

I need information
Oh, thank you for this blog and all the ones you write about Philippines. I am planning Philippines for next year (with Indonesia and Myanmar). I would like you to give me some information about the famous rice terraces. I wouldn´t like to climb steep mountains, no, that is not for me. Is there anything more simple, easier? Day trip to those areas in the north? You can write to my email: gracetandil@yahoo.com.ar Thank you so much. Hugs from Argentina.
15th June 2012

Takes some hard work
Sorry to say.... But the rice terraces up north in Sagada demand some hard work. Certainly not a day trip from Manila. Bus ride alone takes 10 hours.
15th June 2012

With our upcoming trip to the Philippines
Again, a great blog. Very helpful. You are the best.
15th June 2012

See you soon!
Thanks for the kind words, Dave and MJ. Looking forward to seeing you soon!
15th June 2012

Great photos and places in the Philippines
Hi Ms. Lili , Its been a quite long time since we work together for a common goal in the election year of 2010. Anyways, I am so happy to see your blog which really interest me to send you an email. I like your blog and many more would appreciate it if you are going to place more photos of places not known to foreigners who would want to visit our country.
15th June 2012

Thank you, Mert
Yes, it's been awhile. Phew, politics drained the life out of me :)) Hope all's well with ou, Mert. When are you coming home for a visit?
17th June 2012

nice travel blogs lilram! been wanting to visit and stay at the Las Casas Filipinas in Bagac.... maybe someday. I am also interested on different architecture of yore from different places...and some are in this place. More power to you ma'am!
17th June 2012

Thanks!
Blogging kept me busy since retirement..... And in between, and while traveling too. I started writing to make sure I made a record of my travels for when my memory starts failing me but hearing from some readers of my blogs, esp from friends, makes it all the more worthwhile!
18th June 2012

hello
Great blogs. I'm your fan.
10th June 2013

http://www.alltechub.com
nice,,,,,,,

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb