Day Trips South of Manila


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
November 7th 2011
Published: November 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Taal Volcano Viewed From TagaytayTaal Volcano Viewed From TagaytayTaal Volcano Viewed From Tagaytay

Easy day trip from Manila is a trip to Tagaytay to view the world's smallest active volcano from the ridge.
Many tourists "drop by" Manila on their way to any one or a couple of islands for some sun, sand and island ambience. Those "stuck in Manila" for a night or a couple of nights may either visit some of those Manila sites I cited in my earlier blog, or try any of these day trips. You can enjoy some adventures outside of Manila, with plenty of time to head back to your city lodgings to check out the lively nightlife in the city. More one-day itineraries coming. This is the first installment. 😊


Day Trip#1: Tagaytay




One of my fondest childhood memories is a day trip to Tagaytay where one views the world's smallest active volcano. My earlier blog on Tagaytay will tell you exactly what to expect when you get there.
View from a Retreat HouseTaal Volcano Viewed From TagaytayTaal Volcano Viewed From TagaytayTaal Volcano Viewed From Tagaytay

Many areas where you can view Taal Volcano. But the best is always from the Tagaytay Ridge. Have a cold bottle of beer while enjoying the view.
alt='View from a Retreat House' class='photo-protector' style='width:100%!;(MISSING)height:225px;left:0;top:0;position:absolute;'>

View from a Retreat House


.



Driving Directions: Tagaytay is an hour and 15 minutes drive from Manila via the Southern Luzon Expressway (SLEX) or through the Coastal Road. If going through SLEX, take the Santa Rosa Exit and drive all the way going straight to Tagaytay City. Via Coastal Road, it's straight up to Tagaytay along Aguinaldo Highway.



Public Transport: Buses going to Batangas usually pass through Olivarez Plaza, Tagaytay City. The station is located near the MRT Taft Avenue Station, behind the building where a Chowking restaurant is situated. One-way fare to Tagaytay costs less than a hundred pesos. Or take any bus (JAM, BLTB, Crow, Kirby, Saulog, San Agustin) bound for Nasugbu, Batangas or Mendez-Tagaytay, and get off in Tagaytay.




Day Trip#2: A Closer Look of Taal Volcano




Having viewed Taal Volvano from the Tagaytay Ridge may whet your appetite to get closer. Perhaps even try a half hour trek up to the crater after a half hour boat ride from the lakeshore in Talisay, Batangas to the foot of the tiny volcano. All this you can do in the morning but better be there for the boat ride as early as 7am if you don't want to get "burned". That means leaving Manila around 5 am. Not to worry. After a good trek, there's a good lunch to be had at Club Balai Isabel. If on a budget, there are eateries right outside this resort where you can partake the local soupy noodle dish called lomi.
Club Balai IsabelClub Balai Isabel

Club Balai Isabel




Driving Directions: Take the SLEX which connects to the STAR Expressway and exit at Tanauan. From the exit, turn right towards Talisay. Or drive up to Tagaytay and then drive down via Ligaya Drive from the ridge towards Talisay. You can even make a good stopover or pee stop at the Mabini Shrine in Tanauan just before reaching Talisay.

Public Transport: Get on any bus bound for Batangas City VIA TANAUAN (and not via calabarzon) , get off in Tanauan then take a jeepney bound for the next town of Talisay.




Day Trip#3: Not The Volcano, But the Town




Many make this mistake. A trip to Tagaytay (#1) is for your best view of Taal Volcano from the ridge. A trip to Talisay (#2) is to see Taal Volcano up close, as close as its crater, if you like. It is also your starting point for any planned trek up the volcano. But a trip to Taal, Batangas (#3) is a visit to a heritage town which seems frozen in time. Many heroes of the Philippine Revolution hail from this town. And a few of these ancestral houses are preserved much like what you'd see flying to (1hour) or driving 10 hours north to Vigan, Ilocos Sur. If you don't have the time to go North, then a visit to Taal, Batangas may suffice to give you a taste of how our patriots lived during that difficult time.
The Taal  Basilica and ParkThe Taal Basilica and Park

The Taal Basilica and Park




Driving Directions: Two hours of driving. Three hours if the traffic is bad. From Tagaytay to Taal, go straight past Splendido, then turn left towards Lemery once you see San Miguel Training Center on your left (just before “Welcome to Nasugbu” sign). Just follow Diokno Highway, past Leisure Farm, until you reach the highway junction. Turn left towards Lemery. You may pass through the town of Lemery, past McDonalds until you cross the bridge which is already Taal. Turn left after the bridge and you will already see old houses on both sides all the way to the municipio and Taal Basilica. It takes around 45 minutes drive from Tagaytay proper to Taal.

Public Transport: Get on a bus (Jam, Tritran) bound for Lemery, Batangas as some buses pass by the Taal Balisica where you can get off for a walking tour of the heritage town. If not, tell the driver you are getting off at the nearby town of San Nicolas from where you can ride a jeeney back to Taal.


Day Trip#4: Villa Escudero



I always recommend this to Filipino "balikbayans" (Filipinos based abroad, returning for holidays) who are bringing home their children for a taste of Philippine life and culture. Villa Escudero is a privately owned "hacienda" (plantation) planted to coconuts. Within the compound is a church turned into a museum, some cottages on stilts lining the lovely Sampaloc Lake, a man-made waterfalls, and carabao-driven carts. The admission fee includes the Museum tour, rafting, swimming, lunch by the waterfalls and flowing stream, and a cultural show. Visitors are transported back in time and introduced or re-introduced to Filipino provincial life.



Driving Directions: Take the SLEX connecting to STAR expressway headed for Quezon. Villa Escudero is right within the boundary of San Pablo City and Quezon. Take a left immediately upon passing the Quezon Arch. The drive should be less than 3 hours.

Public Transport: Take any bus bound for Lucena, Quezon. Tell the driver to drop you off at the boundary of San Pablo City, Laguna and Quezon. Or simply tell him Villa Escudero.
Lake @Villa EscuderoLake @Villa Escudero

Lake @Villa Escudero





Day Trip #5: Sariaya, Quezon



Just a few more towns past Villa Escudero (day trip #4) is the town of Sariaya, Quezon. Likewise, I earlier blogged on this town. You may check this link.



Just like Taal, Batangas, this is another heritage town about 130 kilometers south of Manila. Sariaya lies at the foot of the mystical Mount Banahaw and prides itself with its many ancestral homes owned by coconut barons and built during the 1800s and early 1900s.

Directions: Same as #4, just go past Tiaong and further down towards Sariaya, Quezon. It is the town before the provincial capital which is Lucena City.
Inside the Rodriguez MansionInside the Rodriguez Mansion

Inside the Rodriguez Mansion




Rizal Shrine in Calamba, LagunaRizal Shrine in Calamba, Laguna

Rizal Shrine in Calamba, Laguna






The Rodriguez GrandchildrenThe Rodriguez Grandchildren

The Rodriguez Grandchildren


Carabao ride, anyone?Carabao ride, anyone?

Carabao ride, anyone?


Man-made WaterfallsMan-made Waterfalls

Man-made Waterfalls


Rows and Rows of Heritage HousesRows and Rows of Heritage Houses

Rows and Rows of Heritage Houses


Walkway Along The ShoreWalkway Along The Shore

Walkway Along The Shore


My Little Shaolin in Tagaytay HighlandsMy Little Shaolin in Tagaytay Highlands

My Little Shaolin in Tagaytay Highlands


Laguna de Bay BeckonsLaguna de Bay Beckons

Laguna de Bay Beckons




Advertisement



8th November 2011

These day trips are great!
9th November 2011

Need to go back!
I really need to go back to Philippines, so many great tips here. It won't happen on this trip :(, but one day I will be back. Another visit to the "hole in the wall" will surely be a part of it all. And Lili, I hope you will take me to another gem like that :) Have fun!
9th July 2012

This is a great compilation of daytrips near manila, thank you:)

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb