Bruce in Luzon


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
January 22nd 2007
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

A big HELLO to everyone! Doing well here in the Philippines. Fantastic experience so far. I'm with Mr Austria & guide Ronnie Araceli. Five hours more to drive to San Fernando, La Union Province. While passing through Manila, I did see the park and monument for the Philippine hero, Jose Rizal, just in passing, since we didn't take time to stop. We did stop for breakfast just south of the American Embassy at Max's restaurant ("sixty years of sarap to the bone"), at the corner of Roxas Blvd and Remedios Road. Manila Bay is in view just across the very busy Roxas Blvd. After eating lunch, we walked to the nearby Melate Church, known as Our Lady of Remedies Parish, dating from 1700's. This church was used by the British for protection in 1762. Later on the drive out of Manila, we saw the Quiapo Church, the oldest church in Manila, dating back to the 1600's.

At this moment, it's mid-day Monday in the countryside, passing near Mt Arayat, an inactive volcano. As a matter of fact, there is no record of a Mt Arayat eruption.

Entered Mabalacat in Pampanga Province at 12:50pm. ---- Now it at 1PM we reach Capas National Shrine (Paggunita Sa Capas), Brngy Capas, Tarlac Province - Memorial to WWII Bataan Death March. This site commemorates American and Filipino soldiers who died of heat exhaustion, malaria and other sickness, and starvation while marching hundreds of miles.

***We may be stopping for lunch soon in Tarlac City, Tarlac.

Advertisement



23rd January 2007

Fun in Luzon
Bruce, Sounds like you are having a blast on your trip thus far! And it's great to have all the connections of people and friends along the way!! Some of your descriptions are reminding me of my time in the Philippines. It's been awhile now, so you're dusting off my mind a little. Blessings as you continue to travel...

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb