Thriller In Manilla


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
December 1st 2006
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Philippines is an amazing and beutifull place, I landed in Manilla on the 1st of December and it was so hot the ride from the airport was a real eye opener, on the outskirts of Manilla there were lots of shanty house's and the streets were very busy, the centre of Manilla could not look more different with high rise buildings and lots of banks and shopping centers. There are security gaurds at the entrance's to everything, as I got to my hotel the taxi had to be checked for bombs by the gaurd and I thought woah what type of place have I just flown into!! It doesnt take long to get used to it and after a few days that sort of thing seems normal.

I was really excited about getting to Manilla as I was meeting Jo (My Girlfriend) there after her tour of Thailand. We went out for a few drinks with Jo's best friend Sam, her brother Owen and his mates Andy and Phil. It was Sam's birthday and was the main reason we were there to celebrate her birthday in style. Sam's Dad Mic and Mum Coral were also there as Mic lives and works in Manilla. They really looked after us and took us to some really cool places. After our first night there Mic took us all to a market style shopping center called Green Hills. We got there about 11:30 and got some really cool stuff and it was so cheap. The sellers at the market stalls were so funny they all said the same things to make you buy stuff from them like " You get special price you are my first customer " even if you saw ten people buying from a stall you would still be the first customer they had.

After our shopping the girls went off to the hairdresser's and me and the lads went to a sports club called Nomads, where we watched Phillipines V Sinagapore rugby match. The Phillipines side was mainly ex pats and started the game really well by scoring two tries early on, the Singapore side looked like they were going to get smashed but they fought back and the game finished 28-27 to the Phillipines, we celebrated the win with a jug of rum and then went out for Sams Birthday. We had a really good meal then
Shanty HousesShanty HousesShanty Houses

Lovely second floor apartment with great views!
went out to a few of Manilla's clubs which was wicked. We ended the night at this pool place and then went back to our hotel. The next day Mic took us see some of the slums and then went to China Town for another meal!! The slums looked crazy we drove through the streets and just looked at how some people had to live, their houses were made of anything they could get thier hands on their were alleys that went back for what looked like miles and either side were these shacks.

On the entrance to the slums there was a sign that said "No Outsiders" Im not sure why anyone would want to go in thier anyway you wouldnt come back out thats for sure!! After going round the slums we went into China town the smell was unbelivable and I was still feeling rough from the night before, which is not a good combination trust me! As we were walking to the resturant we saw this guy carrying a massive pole over his shoulders with live lizards hanging from it. Their hands a feet were tied up so they couldnt move and it looked crazy. I said to Mic why would anyone want a thing like that and he told me they ate them, this made me feel even worse and I didnt have much food at the resturant. After that we went back to the hotel and chilled out then went out for our last night with every one before we flew back to Thailand. The Phillipines was such a wicked place and I really enjoyed my time there I will definatly be going back some time in the future to see alot more of this beutifull country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lizard GuyLizard Guy
Lizard Guy

There not Pets there for Lunch!!!!!!
JeepneysJeepneys
Jeepneys

These are the main transport for manillans


19th December 2006

Looking Sweet
Nice man high 5 high 5 !!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0755s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb