Vigan Trip (Quirino or Banaoang Bridge)


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Ilocos » Vigan
April 24th 2016
Published: April 24th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Quirino BridgeQuirino BridgeQuirino Bridge

View from Bantay side.
This was the first stop for our Ilocos trip. The famous Quirino bridge, a tourist attraction and an iconic symbol of Ilocus Sur preserved by it's local government is a sight not to miss when visiting Ilocos region. We opt not to stop and view the bridge from the view deck but rather drive through it, stop at the other side and take a short walk along the bridge. The symbolic bridge was built to honor the late President Elpidio Quirino but was damaged during one of the super typhoons to hit Philippines. The Macapagal government built a new bridge just beside the old one and is now accesses by travelers as well as locals.

Approaching the bridge along side the mountain was as scenic as the bridge itself. Traversing the Abra river, the bridge connects the town of Santa and Bantay. Surrounded by magnificent mountains it certainly is a beauty. Arriving there early in the morning, the morning sunshine hits the mountains majestically giving a certain dramatic lit over the river and the bridge.

Praised as one of the strongest bridges by withstanding the bombings from World War II, it is certainly a relic the Ilocanos can be
Quirino BridgeQuirino BridgeQuirino Bridge

Just awesome!
proud of. The bridge offers a great panoramic view for photographers as characterized by its grand architectural design.

Our time spent in the bridge was almost like magical. Enjoying the gust of air across the bridge, it was calm and silent almost giving me chills and goosebumps while enjoying this incredible feat of engineering. Along the way I urge you to take a walk along the bridge, take time to contemplate and enjoy the view.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Quirino BridgeQuirino Bridge
Quirino Bridge

With our trusty little ride enjoying the view as well.
Quirino BridgeQuirino Bridge
Quirino Bridge

Wind effect
Quirino BridgeQuirino Bridge
Quirino Bridge

Contemplating.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb