Nepal-Nov-2023-7-Manakamana


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
December 18th 2023
Published: December 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Nepal Tour - Nov-2023


Day-7: Manakamana on way to Kathmandu





Day-7: Manakamana – Kathmandu




We had three days and three nights in Kathmandu.

From Pokhara, Kathmandu is 200 Km, but due to bad road conditions, it takes 8-9 hrs. All along the road, work is going on (for many years – as per the guide), and that reduces the speed further.

94 Km from Pokhara and 104 Km from Kathmandu is a temple called Manakamana. Although our guides were less enthusiastic, everybody wanted to go for darshan and hence, once again-

Wake-up call at 5.00, tea at 5.45, check-out and start at 6.00 with packed breakfast. (Again, inedible samosa, fruits and a tetrapack of drink). Almost managed the schedule.

94 Km to Mankamana took 4½ hrs.

The temple dedicated to devi Durga, is on a hill at an elevation of 1300 m (4300 ft). It is reached by cable car which takes you from base at 268 m to the temple at 1302 m in 10 min on 2.8 Km long rope-way climbing 1000+ meters (height of Mt Abu). Two-way ticket is INR 670/- (included).

We were repeatedly cautioned about the long queues for cable-car and for darshan at the top, which can seriously affect the schedule. In case of too long queues, waiting time could be as long as 3-4 hrs necessitating cancellation of the darshan all-together.

Since it was Wednesday – not being a preferred day for darshan at this temple, we did not face any rush for the cable-car or for darshan (only ½ hr waiting). For a temple as famous and popular, darshan was exceptionally easy and well organized. No where you can have darshan of the deity from just 2-3 ft. Of course, time allowed inside depends on the length of the queue.

Views from the cable-car were excellent but time restrictions did not permit the views from the top as described in Wikipedia.

Timing is very important at this place. Cable-car service remains closed for one hour between 12.30-1.30. We reached the base at 10.30, temple at 11.15, returned at 12.30 to base for lunch and started for Kathmandu at 1.30. Our guides were very politely, but firmly managing the group because if someone is stranded at the top, all others will have to wait for an hour.

According to Rupesh, out Nepali guide, having both flights to Muktinath AND darshan at Manakamana - all three happening successfully - he hasn't seen happening with any other group (in his experience of 5-7 yrs).

We reached outskirts of Kathmandu at 5.00 in the evening but reached the hotel (another 25 Km) at 7.30. Experienced the traffic jams of Kathmandu – which would be repeated several times in the next two days. Total more than 13 hrs from Pokhara with just about 3 hrs break at Manakamana.

Hotel Tibet International – good, above average – with garden restaurant on 7th floor. And that was going to be fun on next two days.

Next: Day-8: Chandragiri hills and Pashupatinath Temple


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb