October 13, Loboche, 4900 m


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
October 13th 2017
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

October 13, Lobuche
Another brilliant clear morning. After breakfast we climbed to the top of the plateau we climbed yesterday, then walked along a fairly level trail for several kilometres stopping at abandoned stone buildings to take photographs.
Our tea break was at Dughla, where the sun baked us but the wind was cold. It is hard to dress for the conditions as it seems I am constantly changing layers.
After we climbed 300 m we reached a plateau where there were numerous monuments, including Scott Fisher and Rob Hall who were portrayed in the movie Everest.
The rest of the trek to Lobuche was relatively flat and easy. Total distance today was 7 km. The tea house was comfortable with western toilets, more than I expected.
At 3 we did a 100 m high acclimatization hike overlooking the Khumbu glacier. I enjoyed watching the clouds move in to cover the mountains.
At 6 we had supper in a very crowded dining hall. I had Sherpa stew, which I also had for lunch, a soup which is easy to eat and has a lot of filling power.
Met an American couple who had hired their own guide for a 14 day trek for $1000 per week per person, all expenses.
They recommended the Annapurna loop, a lot less people, unspoiled villages, great views. In the spring the Rhododendrons are blooming, filling the valleys with color.
I was in bed by 9, using the bag liner, sleeping bag, and covers to keep warm at night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb