Everest draws closer


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Namche
March 29th 2007
Published: March 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we have just had our second acclimatisation day in Namche Bazaar. Pretty amazing day. It was bright, clear and sunny (as usual) when we woke up and Simon and I decided to walk up the hill to the top of Namche. There was the most incredible view of Everest so we walked on further to the Everest View Hotel (posh hotel for Japanese tourists) and had a cup of hot lemon (good drink out here) while gazing slack jawed at the aforementioned.

It really is quite incredible when you see it to think of all the human stories of endeavour and failure, success and tragedy that it symbolizes. And that there are over 200 dead bodies on it. Later this afternoon we met the Phillipine's second most famous man (after the President), the first Phillipino to climb Everest. He started his summit bid at 10pm and made it up there by 5.30am, but coz his disposable camera didn't have a flash he had to wait around til the light was right. Classic.

In the afternoon we took in some cafe culture Namche style, eating apple pie and drinking coffee at a rooftop cafe in the sunshine. It's fascinating checking out all the different people. We saw quite a few climbers planning to summit and all drinking beer and talking about going out partying in the evening. Well, I guess they have to get it done now..... As well as party hard climbers you can't move for doctors out here. Have had the self restraint not to keep shouting out 'Is there a doctor in the house?' They're all going up to Base Camp to carry out medical experiments and 12 of them are climbing it. Apparently Base Camp has a real vibe and party atmospere at the moment. I'll let you know on that one....hopefully....

There is a lot of talk about 'up high' and a definite sense that life is going to get grimmer, stranger and harsher as we penetrate what almost feels like sacred country towards the heart of it, Everest. Health wise we are all in good shape. We've climbed to 400 m higher than Namche twice which should stand us in good stead for our trek to Tengboche tomorrow. Interestingly a chap in our lodge has an instrument which measures haemoglobin levels in the blood (oxygen levels). It's out of 100 and mine at home is usually 99. You really want to have a reading in the 90s still out here. Mine was 93, Si's was 92, Vicky's was 92 and Phil's was 95. Conclusive proof that cake eating and acclimatisation at altitude are linked. So I think we're all pretty much OK.

It is so amazingly beautiful here I can't get over it. To be surrounded by these vasty giants, the piercing blue of the sky all the time is quite humbling and at times overwhelming. Everyday is an adventure and I'm really looking forward to pushing my body everyday and seeing what it can do. As most of you know, I am not a morning person, but yesterday morning I was awake at 6am and chivvying Si out of his sleeping bag as I wanted to go walking. Take one look out of the window at the sunshine on the mountains and there is no other choice!

Not too much more news. Bracing myself for a return to squat toilets tomorrow and rather more basic facilities which should at least shut Si up and his constant 'It weren't like this in my day, you don't know you're born'. I think he was just making it up myself!

Ooh and a big thank you to Mr Peter Dawe for sponsoring me!

I hope I'll be able to blog a bit more on my way up....watch this space...

Rx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb