Life in Kathmandu...


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 12th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

To give everybody a feel of what life is like here in Kathmandu (the hub of civilization in Nepal);

There are scheduled rolling blackouts (Every Tuesday 7-9pm) Every room has a candle & flashlight just incase they have an unscheduled blackout (thought not as common as before).

Every modern house has a water tank in the front/back yard that is trickle filled from the city water supply. There are then water containers on the roof of the house that water is then pumped up to on a daily basis (when power is on) and all the water outlets are gravity fed from the roof water tank. The only hot water is solar heated hot water (No Sun -- cold showers!) And since water is such a valuable commodity while one is waiting for the hot water to come out of the faucet for a shower - the water is stored in a bucket and then used later to flush the toilet. Drinking water needs to be boiled and then put through a charcoal filter, if one doensn't mind warm drinking water, for cold water one spends $50-100 USD (3500 - 7000 Rupees) on a water filtration system that will clean drinking water for you. Refrigrators are a luxary item and most house holds do not have one at all let alone one with space for to keep water cold.

There are ATM's in town, which allow the modern Nepali the ability to remove cash in 1000 Rupee (RPS) denominations. Just for a feel how much 1000 RPS is, our house keeper makes 5300 RPS a month and her husband who has a government job as a runner makes 4500 RPS a month (they are considered upscale laborers - there is uneducated labor which would take home between 1000 - 2000 RPS a month). Most tech savy individuals make in and round 15,000 RPS a month. With the conversion rate hovering just above 70 RPS per Dollar. Most upscaled laborers take home between 8,000 - 12,000 RPS ($110 - $160 USD).

I had my first real Nepali dinner last night - and for everybody out there who enjoys Indian Food - we had home made chicken curry and it was better then the best Indian food I've had in the States.

We are on our way to Pokhara.

Take care all -- and more photos to come.

Bryan

Advertisement



13th October 2006

Gopini's Food!
I love Gopini's food! She is an awesome maid. Have you tried talking to her? She's just wonderful! She makes the best Chicken Curry!!! Just wait for the Dal bhat!
16th October 2006

Food.....
MMm......curry......gotta love it. You probably discovered that meats (e.g. chicken, pork) tastes much better over there- cause they're not frozen!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb