Arrived in one piece.


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
October 11th 2006
Published: October 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well -- 17 hours from LA to Bangkok -- and another 3 hours to Kathmandu's New International terminal -- and I'm back home. I have to say that the service on Thai Airlines is by far the best services I've ever received on any airline.

My parents currently live about 100 feet from house I grew up in. Our old house is now an office building and they took out the wonderful rose bushes in the front yard to add parking spaces as well as adding brick work through out the back yard I so often played in as a child. It's weird being back, several of the shop keepers remember our family from when we lived here in the 80's.

Arriving in one piece is saying alot after the drive home from the airport, the only saving grace was our top speed was 25 MPH. Other then that I don't know how anybody would survive driving in Kathmandu. They reciently have a new addition to the road ways, painted lines. Not that anybody really pays attention to them, kinda like Parlay (The Pirates Code) they are more of guideline then a set of rules. Traffic consists of 5 major groups - pedstrians, bicycles, motorcycles & mopeds, cars & minivans and trucks. At anyone point in time, one has pedestrians crossing the street, motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic minivans picking up and dropping off passengers as well as a broken down truck that is blocking traffic. Not to mention the occasional dog fight in the middle of the street which always stops traffic.

The photos from the trip are posted at Arrived in one piece Photos





Advertisement



16th October 2006

"Parlay" Bryan? Too much Pirates of the Carribean for you! Good to hear that you arrived safely (never mind that this comment's like 5 days late.)!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb