HOLI!!!


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
March 20th 2011
Published: March 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After Holi 1After Holi 1After Holi 1

Fay, Jen and I in one of our trips back to the hotel to fill our water bottles!!
Saturday 18th March was the long awaited festival of Holi - a festival of colours which celebrates the triumph of good over evil- I spent it in Thamel and it was absolutely crazy, but so, so, so fun! The festival is basically an excuse to havd a massive water and powder paint fight, so practically the minutewestepped out of the hotel in the morning we were mobbed by hoards of paint and water bearing locals and tourists who didn't let our clothes stay clean for long. Luckily we were all prepared though, and had all dressed up especially in older clothes - that paint is not coming put! We had alsoarmed ourselves with water balloons, bottles and water guns (which the local kids tried, and succeeded to steal) so we could fight back. When we first went out (initially just to go to breakfast) we were not preparedfor the scale of the water fights happening in certain areas- and after eventually making it to where we had planned for breakfast, only to find it was closed like most other shops, we gave up the idea and went back to join the fight (stopping off to grab a pastry fromone of thefew open bakeries on the way). We made many trips back to the hotel to refill our weapons with water-althoughi was definitely more the victim than the attacker - some people just stayed on their roofs and emptied buckets of water on us - not a nice surprise as it was freezing! At one point Callum, another volunteer, turned against us and climbed up to the roof terrace oc our hotel with a bucket of water and emptied it on us (mainly got me) while we were refilling our bottles - we were nothappy with himto say the least, and got our revenge when he came down. Once we had had enough of throwing around water and paint we all retreated to the hotel's roof terrace to sit in the sun and dry off -and take lots of photos! (I'll put them up when I can) Since it wasn't reAlly safe to go out, we spent most of the afternoon either up there or washing ourselves and our clothes (a lengthyprocess) but if was definitely worth it. A great festival anx loads of fun!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb