Yakking in the Himalayas


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
December 7th 2005
Published: December 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone, thanks for all you emails.......keep them coming!

Just come back from a 20 day trek in Everest, superb but bloody cold!
Decided to follow in Edmond Hillary’s footsteps (just missed the small matter of the summit).

After 8 days of walking through villages and not seeing any mountains we started to
think we’d made a wrong turn somewhere. We popped into a school for directions and then thought we should make a huge donation. Unfortunately owing to the stock at the local random hut we only managed to summon together 20 pens for the 150 children (still they were very high quality pens).

The trail to Everest was pretty amazing, but rather too much up and down - we worked out that we were climbing the equivalent of Ben Nevis every day. Amazing what the locals carry including farm yard animals, TV’s and even houses and put us to shame puffing along with our small packs.

Finally reached the mountains and managed to pick up a guide to help us cross one of the hairy passes called Cho-La which made things easier. We slowly gained altitude until we were 5km above sea level and then things got really cold, but we caught our first views of Everest which made it all worth while.

Back in Katmandu we cast our vegetarian ways aside (sorry Maz and Mickey) and set off in search of some meat. LJ knew of some fantastic steak house him and DJ had visited 3yrs ago and the only thing standing in our way was the name and venue! Not a clue! Eventually Rum Doodles (not an traditional steak house name) was found and whilst eating our food we could see Hillary's signature on the wall from 1953.

With a few days to kill before Bhutan LJ came up with the fabulous idea of rafting. To be honest I wasn’t completely convinced especially since the “one arm Gilly” incident but it turned out to be the funniest 2 days ever.

If you can imagine LJ in a Helly Hansen Thermal top and a Long John Wetsuit on (no arms) then you would agree he looked like a competitor at a weaklings weight lifting championship!

After getting stuck between two rocks ( a re-occurring problem) our guide decided to try and move the boat himself, resulting in the boat starting to flip over. In a vain attempt to stop it we all dived to the high side ........except Gail (a girl on the trip) who had inexplicably managed to become wedged under the central boister. Timed impeccably whilst I was struggling to free her and everyone panicking LJ then commented “this would be quite nice if we weren’t at 180 degrees” I was crying with laughter!

We saved the boat ...hurrah.... but on the way back down the guide, Gail and myself (based at the back) were inadvertently thrown out of the boat due to the whiplash! All very exciting and apparently we are doing it all again down the Zambesi in Africa!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th December 2005

imissyouguys!
you look like you are having so much fun! really wishing i was there too! speak soon. love C xxxx
7th December 2005

Great Trip!
Looks like you are having some fun times Keep it going and the photos coming!
8th December 2005

Great pics!
Fabulous pics guys. Glad you are having a wonderful time.
16th December 2005

looks fantastic!!!
Great to see you are still hanging with the digi folk - see you in the New Year! xx
19th December 2005

Love the pictures! Rafting sounds brilliant! See you in Delhi very soon!
21st December 2005

remind me why I'm living in flat essex??
Oh gilly that looks just up my ally and those photos are just the incentive I need to keep fit rambing round england until i get to the real thing!!
9th January 2006

Rubbish!
That looks really rubbish. And what happened to the nice scenery? Just looks like Scotland to me. I'm glad I'm at work. Really. And that baby looks like its made of plastic as well! Lots of love from the grumpy old scots git!
13th January 2006

Thanks for the Everest postcard
Thanks guys for the post card. Do you think we could trek like you. Are the edges near...........

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb