Im coming home


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamal
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys

i cant beleive i havent written since christmas, im further behind than i thought.

After chrissy i had another coulpe of days at the spinal cord clinic before we had 4 days off for new years. We decided to spend this time in Thamel, so we could have a big night with some other tourists.

On my days off i just completed some last minute shopping, i have brought soo much its unbeleiveable, and then did some sight seeing. With a a few of the girls i visited patan, an old city filled with temples, before we compeled some serious shopping in the department stores around there.

I had a pretty quite new years, i made it to midnight but not much further than that, i hadent been feeling well in the tummy again, but all is good now.

when we returned to our village last wednesday, it was time to prepare for 2 health camps that we would be running in the community. at these camps we set up a mini clinic in a school, and the community can come and recieve free health care. along with us there were 2 gp's a gynochologist, optomologist, pharmacist, and health workers.

the community members would arrive, have their weight, bp, temp, pulse and general history taken by us, before they were referred on to the appropriate health professional for treatment. we also had to the opportunity to sit in on these consultations with the gp's and other health professional who spoke english, so they were able to explain to us the patients problems, and what they were prescibing.

it was all very interesting, however it would have been better if it was more hands on for us and less observing.

we completed the second health camp at a small (like 10 ppl) village about 2 hours out of kathmandu. it was up this massive winding hill and on the bus ride there, im sure we came within 30 cm of death at least 5 times. it was quite scary having a totally f***ing crazy bus driver, on a steep winding hill, going as fast as possible.

On sunday we had a good bye picnic, organised by the company we are volunteering with. we got on the bus at 7 am and got home again at 6. it was about a 2 hour bus ride there, up a massive hill again, to this totally random spot. the picnic consisted of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

breaky was jam sandwiches, lunch chicken, vegies, bread, salad everything, and dinner dhal bhat. we ate practically all day. and then just laid around in the sun during the other times. the group had heaps of fun gossiping, posing for photos and playing cards, it would have been one of the best days ive had over here.

monday we packed our bags and completed our final evaluations for uni. I passed, yeh. and then headed into thamel to spend our last couple days relaxing before we fly home.

monday was filled with shopping and trips to the beauty parlor, to prepare for thailand,a nd tuesday the same. on tuesday i had a massive night out, and got totally trashed. i had an awesome time. lots of memories.

anyway i better go, i fly out for thailand in a couple of hours, where ill meet pete and lye on the beach for 2 weeks

will write again soon
miss you all heaps
mwa wma
me

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb